100 Day Project 2021

Monday, October 10, 2011

Exploring With a Camera ~ Color Part 2

Learning about colors on the color wheel and how they can be used together has been the focus of Exploring With A Camera at Kat Eye View Of The World. I learned about the color wheel in school and I've used it in my quilt making to find complimentary colors, but this exploration of the color wheel in photography has been a challenge.  I have lots of photos with colors, just not the right combination of colors. Some of these photos I took to demonstrate the color combination and others I found in my archives. I'm learning how pleasing the right color combinations can be!
 ~ Complimentary colors ~
these are two colors directly opposite on the color wheel
red and green
~ Triadic Colors ~
three colors that are equally spaced along the wheel
the colors in this photo happen to be the three primary colors
red, yellow, and blue

Triadic Variation ~
two of the three colors from a Triad
green and violet
the third wold be orange



 ~ Tetrad ~
 four colors equally spaced on the color wheel
yellow, blue, violet, orange

~ Proportion Of Color ~
it's usually more pleasing when the color combination has unequal amounts of each color

with three colors you think of 60 - 30 - 10
I think this is close to
60% of green
30% of orange
10% of yellow

Looking for color has been fun, a challenge yes, but fun!  Now that I've explored the color wheel and it's combinations, it will be interesting to see how often I find them in future photos.

6 comments:

  1. Fun how so much of your search was within Mother Nature. I always think she gets it right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy,
    I think you did a fine job with your color explorations. The jars with fruit - that one is really stunning - the saturated color palette - almost jewel-like in its beauty.

    Also love the crayon close-up - I can smell that "new box of Crayola's" smell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are lovely. I love the jars too and the crayons. I found this a challenge too but really enjoyed it, and learnt a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa! I don't think I had ever heard of the color wheel like the one you described. The photos are beautiful and I want to research this color wheel. As soon as I catch up on my Big Picture Inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that you kept searching Cathy, you did a great job of finding the color combinations. Now that you've studied them, I'm sure you will start seeing them more often. I'm so glad that you went out looking and linked in to Exploring with a Camera - I loved seeing your images and reading about your experience. Always great to have you join in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love close-up pics... didn't get to participate in Color Wheel - Part 2, but your images are perfection!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!