100 Day Project 2021

Friday, February 12, 2021

Winter Arrives


Winter is here! I realize the calendar has said that for a few weeks, but Arkansas weather did not get the message. We've had rather warm temperatures so far, until this week. Now it is finally winter. I do love cold weather that bites your nose and stings your toes! 



Wednesday night into Thursday we had freezing rain and sleet. This isn't the kind of precipitation I was hoping for.  I really wanted it to snow, but ice does make interesting pictures.

Even though the sun wasn't out the ice sparkled in the morning light.


I love finding long water drops and icicles and looking at their unique shapes and patterns.



I took several pictures, trying to get a water drop as the icicles began to melt. I didn't have much success though. This was the best one. At least I caught the drop in the picture.

Even the spider webs were covered in ice!


Although ice is fun to take pictures of it isn't fun to drive in. Here in Arkansas most of us have no idea how to drive on ice, so we stay home. Schools went virtual and businesses closed. Even though we never got above freezing, the roads did improved later in the day and seem fine today. A little bird told me, well it was actually two big birds, but word from the powerline is that another day of precipitation is coming. Only this time it will be snow that may actually accumulate. Seriously! How long has that been since snow has accumulated in central Arkansas!


I am so looking forward to Monday's snow. There's a down side though, I probably won't be able to see it snowing. I have another lithotripsy procedure scheduled for Monday morning. Bummer!! I should be home around noon, so maybe the snow will continue although I'm sure it will be a couple of days before I can go outside and play. I'll have to be content with watching out the window with a mug of hot chocolate in my hands. I love to watch the snow as it falls quietly to the ground. There is no quietness like the quiet that comes with snow! 

As a side note, I was surprised when I saw these two hawks sitting on the powerline! All this time I've thought there was only one hawk in the area, but the truth is in the picture. There are two of them! The picture is a little blurry because they were very far away and I was shooting through a window. I'm just glad they posed for me.

Whatever the weather where you are I hope you enjoy each day.




3 comments:

  1. Beautiful icy captures, Cathy! I especially like the firt photo and also number eight of the icicles! Lovely to catch those two big birds on the line. Good luck for your lithotripsy procedure tomorrow. I hope that the snow will stick around long enough for you to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ice photos are stunning, Cathy! You are braver than I am--I will not go out when it's icy. Too afraid of falling and with osteoporosis that is a huge fear of mine. I love the two hawks sitting on the wire. Have never seen two together. It always surprises me just how big they are.

    We've had snow on the ground almost non-stop since early December. Very unusual after our easy winters of the past decade. Last year my husband didn't shovel at all--this year it's two or three times a week! Take care now and I hope your procedure goes well ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!