100 Day Project 2021

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Treasures On Thursday & Ornaments - Day 6

Keeping up with these ornaments is harder than I thought! Seems like I keep hopping up and grabbing my camera, it's time to take more pictures.  Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of ornaments to share, I just have to stay on my toes and keep up!!

I like little houses, therefore when I saw these ornaments, I had to stitch them.
The one above makes me think of a snowy Christmas Eve in a cozy little old-fashioned village!!

I'm looking forward to my children and grandchildren coming home for the holidays!!

TREASURES ON THURSDAY

"And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe
wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger."

Luke 2:12

Since this is  the Christmas season, I will keep my Treasures related to Christmas. One my  favorite holiday decorations is my Nativity scene. I always thought I would like to collect Nativity scenes, but I don't for two reasons:  (1) they are too expensive and (2) you have to have enough room to display them, which I don't. So I just look at them in the stores and magazines and enjoy my one Nativity scene. It is special to me. You see, I made it. It is ceramic and I started on the set in the 70's. I bought the figures, cleaned them, and had them fired and then boxed them up. Several years later I got them out and decided to finish them with pastel chalks. I love the muted look of the chalks. I did Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus and then boxed up the rest. Finally, years later I dug the rest of the figures out and finished them. I'm so glad I did. I wish I had finished them earlier! Now here's the funny part, you see Joseph and one of the shepherds have staffs in their hands. They didn't get their staffs until last year. When I cleaned the ceramics I did not leave a hole for the staff to go through. But, last year I borrowed my son's Drimmel tool and with shaky, sweaty hands and a very rapid heart beat I drilled the holes for the staffs. My husband then made the staffs out of a coat hanger.  I was terrified I was going to break them. But, it worked and now the set is totally finished and I can enjoy them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by!!