100 Day Project 2021

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Ornaments - Day 16

Cross stitching has always been one of my favorite pastimes. I stitched my first piece in 1972. It was two little birds, the framed piece still hangs in my hall. There's just something so relaxing about putting a needle through fabric and then finishing with something beautiful. I haven't done a lot in the last few years, but taking pictures of my stitched ornaments has me ready to start again.
This white one has some cross stitching and some Hardanger stitches. I stitched this one at a cross stitch retreat. The heart in the center is a bead.

This ornament uses Hardanger stitches. Satin stitches and eyelet stitches create the lacy look. The holes in the piece are created by clipping the fabric threads away after the stitching. Hardanger looks very hard, but honestly it's not. It's more about accuracy and precise cutting than anything.

There are so many patterns you can create with Hardangar stitches. It's hard to tell in the photo, but this one has a very fine gold thread stitched into it and tiny white beads.

This one is one of my favorites. I like just the touch of green.

This one is all cross stitch and has a lot of gold beads.

Stitched samplers have always fascinated me. When I saw the pattern for this little Sampler ornament, I knew I needed to stitch it for my tree.

This makes me want to start a new project right now, Maybe next years ornament!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by!!