100 Day Project 2021

Monday, December 20, 2010

Ornaments - Day 24

I learned to smock in the early 1980's. A very dear friend of my, Miss Geneva, taught me how. She is the sweetest person I know. She's like a second mother to me. She used to teach our  girl's Sunday School class. We would go to her house for bunking parties and she always fixed us chocolate gravy and biscuits for breakfast. You know, when you're in Jr. High and they make you write the paper about who you admire the most? That paper was about Miss Geneva. Love her so much. Anyway, she showed me how to smock these ornaments. She has enough smocked balls to decorate her entire tree, which is so beautiful!  I went on to do a lot of smocking. I made my daughter several dresses and one Christmas made several smocked gowns. It's been a while since I smocked anything. I guess the last thing I smocked was a romper for my first grandson. It had a little tractor scene on the front. I didn't stitch any more children's clothes. It is just too much work for the short little time they get to wear them.
This was my first ball. Pretty simple stitches.

My second. I have since learned to back smock, so all the pleats will stay in place.


And this one is a little more complicated. Stitching the trees is a little trickier.

I've enjoyed my smocked balls so much. I will always think of Miss Geneva when I put these balls on my tree. 



1 comment:

  1. I had no idea Mrs. Geneva taught you how to smock! I still remember how much I loved my smocked dresses! They were beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!