100 Day Project 2021

Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Doomed!

 




Dear Susie,

I sat down today to write and invite you for Christmas lunch, but now I’m rethinking that. Seems I have a problem. A problem that involves a very annoying human.

We all make mistakes, some of them small and some of them huge. This time I made a really big one! I chose the wrong place for my home. I found this wonderful place with oak trees stretching to the sky. Since I love heights, I picked the ­­tallest one. When the wind blows I’m able to fall asleep as the large branches sway. And, the acorns, oh my, there are thousands of acorns. There would be­­ no limit on acorns to stash and during the cold days ahead, I could have a feast every day. It seemed the perfect place to winter.

That was until SHE came out. She had the audacity to sit below my tree. MY TREE! There I was stuck high above with no easy way down. Not only did she sit there, she stayed! With the warm sun shining on her and a book in her hand she had no desire to leave. What’s a squirrel to do? Of course, you know I can jump from tree to tree, but my tree isn’t close to another tree and that was my second mistake. I didn’t plan for an emergency escape route. I tried throwing a few acorns at her, but she just laughed; laughed right out loud! Slowly I crept down the trunk to a lower branch. There was only one thing to do . . . jump! With outstretched legs I launched myself as hard as I could just like a flying squirrel, which I am not. With a loud splat, I landed hard on my belly right in front of her. Ha! I startled her, maybe scared her so bad she won’t sit under my tree again! I took off at a run to the nearby woods climbed a tall pine, rubbed my aching belly, and dreamed of my comfy nest across the way.

Should I find another tree? Build another nest? No, I like my tree and I like my nest! It’s the best tree in the neighborhood. The perfect tree! The perfect nest! Well it would be perfect if I could only get rid of her! I know, what to do. I’ll wish for cold, cold weather and lots of snow. That should keep her and her book inside! I’m wishing! I’m wishing! I’m wishing! And I’m singing . . . Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Oh no, I’ve just had a thought. What if she likes cold weather and snowy days. I’m doomed! Doomed to sitting in a scratchy pine tree gazing longingly at my nest.

Do you think maybe I could come visit you on Christmas? I’ll bring some acorns for acorn stew!

Yours truly,

Skyler the Squirrel

* * * * * 

Winter Writing Sanctuary 
Assignment: a different perspective 

This writing is based on a true story. 
Names have been changed to protect the innocent.

6 comments:

  1. What a fun story Cathy. I can really imagine it happening just that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I would love to read this to some of my great grand kids if they lived nearby. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A cute story, Cathy! I don't need three guesses to know who the book reader might be!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute story, Cathy! I often wonder how our native wildlife feels about us humans encroaching on "their" space :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!