100 Day Project 2021

Tuesday, December 1, 2020

A Thanksgiving to Remember


Happiness is a choice. As each new day approaches, we decide will our day be filled with happiness or misery. Some days are easy to decide, some are not. This most unusual Thanksgiving made us stop and evaluate the way we celebrated in the past and how we could find happiness in a less traditional celebration. We faced many questions. How could we abandon our family traditions? How could our family safely gather? Many of us were spending the first major holiday without a loved one this year. Many were alone or quarantined. It wasn't the Thanksgiving we were looking forward to!



Fortunately, my family was able to get together. My two children, their spouses, and our five grandsons gathered with us to celebrate. We spend the day outside social distanced. To be safe each family ate at a different table decorated with fresh flowers that Jerry provided.  



We didn't have the traditional turkey and dressing this year. I made a chicken and dressing casserole instead. I thought if we were going to do things differently, lets change the food up a little. We did have our traditional corn casserole, squash casserole, deviled eggs, cranberry salad, and potato salad. As I was cutting up potatoes for the potato salad I realized how fortunate I am that my grandmother and mother passed down family recipes. I also wondered how many potatoes I've cut up for Thanksgiving potato salad over the years.



We were blessed with good weather, not great, but good. It was overcast and a little chilly, but jackets and a bonfire kept us warm. It was peaceful sitting around the fire talking, laughing, and remembering family tales. In the afternoon we made smores and the boys roasted hot dogs. I can't remember the last time I had a gooey smore. I don't really like marshmallows, but on graham crackers with chocolate . . . delicious! 


I am grateful for my family who were willing and happy to adapt to a Covid Thanksgiving. It was a holiday we'll always remember. I would say this Thanksgiving ranked way up there at the top of the best Thanksgivings I've had. 


Our memories of 2020 will probably not include too many great times. We'll remember the fear, the anxiety, and the heartbreak of this year. I know there were good times, too, but they seemed to be overshadowed by bad. So far, Thanksgiving has been the highlight of my year. As we approach another holiday, we'll do the very same thing. We'll plan a safe and happy Covid Christmas. We may need a larger bonfire, hats, gloves, scarves, heavy coats, and long johns, but we'll smile and love it!


6 comments:

  1. Good memories. So glad you had your whole family with you

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful and memorable and safe way of celebrating Thanksgiving this year! Lovely new memories for you all! You are also fortnuate to live in an area where it isn't yet very cold so that you could all sit outside. I shall look forward to seeing how you manage to celebrate a lovely family Christmas this year! I shall be in the same situation - and we have already had our first snowfall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were very fortunate for nice weather on Thanksgiving. This week has been much colder and wetter.

      Delete
  3. A lovely way to spend Thanksgiving for your family. I like that way you started this post - Happiness is a choice - that is so true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sometimes the choice to be happy is not an easy one, but every time it is the best choice!

      Delete
  4. How wonderful that you found a way to all be together and stay safe, Cathy. I'm glad your weather held up for the occasion, too! I had to laugh when I read what you made for dinner, as I did the exact same thing--a chicken casserole with stuffing on top :) It was very tasty and SO easy compared to making a big turkey dinner.
    But, it was just my husband and myself... very strange, but also much less hectic than the feasts we usually have for 20-25. Hope you can all manage to get together for Christmas, too! Enjoy your weekend ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!