100 Day Project 2021

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Look A Little Bit Closer


I get cranky in the summertime.
It's too hot! It's too humid!
I have to kick myself out the door every day, because
I'm determined to not become a summer recluse.
For me, that is so very hard to do!


But what if I didn't go out?
What would I miss?
beauty
details
colors
life


I would miss cute little animals scurrying across the yard.
This little guy, who was about two inches long,
moved very fast and tried to hide under clumps of moss.


I would miss furry creatures among the hosta leaves.
I tried to tell her it's too hot to be
wearing a fur coat!


I would miss the beautiful colors,
shapes, and patterns of nature.


And, I would miss the tiniest of mushrooms.
Is it just me being hot or does this one look like an old-fashioned hand fan?
Do you remember the kind businesses gave away, especially funeral homes?
Maybe I'm dating myself here!
Anyway, it makes me cooler just thinking about fans?


I think that now you see why I can't hide inside!
I would miss the blessings!

"Sometimes
I need only to stand
wherever I am to be blessed."
~ Mary Oliver


7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Cathy for making us think to stop and enjoy those small beauties. I usually hurry through my watering and don't take the time to appreciate the beauty around me - gotta get back in the house to cool off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in a church without air-conditioning, so I do remember the hand fans well, and if you didn't have a fan you used the bulletin. I think what I would miss if I stayed inside is the birds. Last year's Meadow Project (and I guess continuing this year) showed me the beauty of the field birds that live amongst the wild flowers. While I am not a bird photographer, the joy their songs bring is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely set of images, Cathy! Such beautiful detailed close-ups! I loved the cute furry creature and the beautiful leaves. Yes, the last one is like a little fan! I'm like you in the summer! I need to push myself out of the door really nice and early for my walks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on the heat and humidity making me cranky, Cathy :) The older I get the less I can deal with humidity...

    But, what lovely images you captured--love the fuzzy caterpillar and the scaly turtle. Really wonderful details abound if we only take the time to really look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, you would miss quite a lot if you stayed indoors. I get the cranky part. I'm a bit of a homebody, quite happy to read and putter around my house - but your images are a wonderful reminder of how important it is to venture out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really found some wonderful little details in these shots. I want that little turtle, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been very poor at looking at blogs and even worse with commenting. My eye sight and computers don’t always cooperate. So today, I’ll stop by and say hello and copy this note into the comments. Some of you are on Facebook or Instagram, but many aren’t. As I’ve said all along, I’ve met wonderful people blogging.
    And I am like you....I just don’t want to be inside if I don’t have too! There is way too much to miss. I love your photos, the details are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!