100 Day Project 2021

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The Beauty of Glass

"I can't understand it when people say
they don't like a particular color. . .
How on earth can you not like a color."
~ Dale Chihuly


Chihuly Glass
exquisite
delicate
breathtaking

If you have ever seen any of Chihuly's glass you know how exquisite each piece is and how breathtaking it is when those pieces are placed together. Chihuly's glass was displayed at the Clinton Presidential Library as part of the libraries 10th anniversary celebration.  I went with my sister and niece, not so much to see the library. It is, well, sort of boring unless you're into politics. We went to see the glass. 



Chihuly's series of Seaforms are created by nesting bowls and various shaped pieces.



He describes his Seaform series as resembling the ebb and flow of water and underwater life.



I was fascinated by the perfection in the curves, lines, and repeated patterns.



Chihuly's Mille Fiori exhibit looked like an enchanted garden filled with every shape and color imaginable. I can't tell you how many times we walked around this exhibit and each time saw something new!


Mille Fiori means a "thousand flowers."  


The sculptures that made up this garden resembles organic shapes such as ferns, bushes, reeds,
and the bodies of animals like swans or herons. 


The black base the Mille Fiori pieces sit on create the most amazing reflections. I think I took more pictures of the reflections that I did of the glass!  If you were only looking down at a piece, you would miss the beauty of the underneath side.


Pictures do not even begin to show the beauty of Chihuly's glass and there aren't words to describe it.
I think Chihuly says it best, they are magical!

"The magic is in the light."
Dale Chihuly

17 comments:

  1. That Chihuly glass is absolutely amazing. I've never seen anything quite like it! My favourites are the first one and the third one! So well photographed, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They truly ARE magical. I love the Seaforms, but I think my favorite image is the last. You're right about those reflections -- they are stunning. You did a beautiful job of photographing these amazing glass sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's unbelievable that someone can create such gorgeous pieces of art. You captured the very essence of this artist in your fantastic photographs..

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooohhhh how very beautiful!! I never met a color I did not love!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had an exhibit of his work here a few years ago, amazing is the only thing you can say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fortunate that this exhibit was so close to you! The glass is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was lucky enough to see the Mille Fiori sculpture in Columbus several years ago - as you say, it is amazing. It is really difficult to photograph glass and capture it well. You have done a magnificent job capture the color and translucence of these exquisite pieces. I especially love the opening image - there is such an amazing glow to the pieces. You have done Chihuly proud.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved us going there but I sure learned a lot from your blog and your pictures were great. You do have a lot of talent where photography comes in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Cathy, he is truly a master of glass and light. The Denver Botanic Garden displayed his work for several months, and I went twice to see it. Each piece is magical - there is so much to explore in his creativity. Your photos are excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know I love his work, just fascinating. I would love to own a piece of his. Beautiful Cathy so glad you got to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thoroughly enjoy Chihuly's masterpieces. Got to see an exhibit at the Missouri Botanical Gardens in St Louis several years ago.
    Your photos are exquisite, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are gorgeous--you've captured so much beauty! I saw an exhibit of his work in San Francisco. It is breath-taking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great shots and I do love Dale Chihuly! Isn't his work amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, these are just breathtaking - so much beauty in the shapes, and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chihuly's work is stunning and your photos of it really capture the beauty, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow this color is just so inspiring and you captured it so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!