100 Day Project 2021

Friday, January 30, 2015

Friday Fiinds - To Pretty To Be Inside

Lately I've found myself outside enjoying the warm sunshine. Sixty degree temperatures are not what we usually get in January, so when that happens I try to take advantage of it. My sister and I spent two days outside, doing a little walking, talking, laughing, and taking pictures. The first day we hiked a 3 1/2 mile trail around the base of Pinnacle Mountain. I've been to this state park many times and walked trails, but this was the first time I had someone with me to walk the base trail. Although it's a well marked trail you have to walk carefully over rocks and roots. Sometimes the trail was nothing but rocks and we had to look for the light green trail marking on the trees.


Walking in winter is different than other seasons when the leaves are on the trees and wildflowers are blooming. In winter you see the bare-bone shapes of the trees. You see the squirrel nests and the bird nests that are usually hidden in the leaves.


We ate a late lunch along the banks of the Arkansas River. While we were talking, my sister glanced up and saw a barge coming down the river. This pretty tug is call the Beverely Anne. (yes that's how the name was spelled on the side)


As we were taking pictures of the barge the ducks noticed us. I really think they thought we were going to feed them. Sorry guys! Nothing good for you to eat!


The next day we still wanted to be outside so we chose to tour Mount Holly Cemetery in Little Rock, the capitol of Arkansas. This cemetery is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Numerous notable Arkansans have been laid to rest here.
11 state Governors
14 state Supreme Court Justices
five Confederate Generals
22 Little Rock mayors
notable women, newspaper editors,
military heroes, physicians, and attorneys 


Many people don't understand the appeal of a cemetery. I'm drawn to cemeteries with or without my camera. I'm drawn to the beauty, art, history, and peace that you can fine when you walk through their gates.


A four square-block area was donated to the City of Little Rock in 1842 for this cemetery. Very close to downtown Little Rock, this area is an oasis from the hustle and bustle of city life. The park is filled with many beautiful old trees and bushes. I want to go back in the spring, as there are hundreds of flowers planted and later in the summer the wrought iron fence that surrounds the grounds will be draped with roses. 


Six hours wasn't enough time to see the whole cemetery. We only walked through half of it.  I'm hoping for a pretty day soon that we can go back, finish our tour, and see what we can discover. I'll be posting more pictures from the cemetery in the next couple of posts.

fridayfindsbutton

18 comments:

  1. Lovely shots of this river area! Also do love going to those historic cemteries. They are so fascinating. Glad you had such a great walk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful walk you and your sister went on! That barge is so colourful and I love the ripples made by the ducks. Cemetaries have a feeling of gentle peace about them and when I look at the names on the tombs, I always imagine the lives of the people when they were alive. I really like the tombstone of Anne with the dried yellow rose and the lichen on the stonework.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a blessing to be able to take long walks with your sister and to such pretty and peaceful places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice walk! I sure wish I could get out for a good hike, but with almost 10" of snow on the ground, that will have to wait for a few months! I love exploring old cemeteries, too--you just never know what you'll come across. Beautiful photos, as always, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely. I always love cemeteries too, look forward to seeing your next posts. Happy weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the walk along this river very much. Great for FF.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice you and your sister had a wonderful time !
    Looks like a great place !
    Have a nice weekend,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a special treat to have a warm winter day. It looks like you and your sister had a lot of fun on your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe you've got temperatures in the 60's and sunny! So envious! But I am glad you and your sister took advantage of the surprise weather. You certainly found some beautiful spaces and places to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was a wonderful two days and your photos were great as always. The shot of the duck and their wake was so neat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Temps in the 60s!! That sounds positively tropical! :-) I enjoyed your walk in the lovely warm air. I'm fond of cemeteries, too. There's a beauty and serenity that I find very appealing. And I love the history found in really old ones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! I enjoyed looking at all your photos. Sounds like it was a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You and your sister are getting exercise and seeing some grand sights. i love old cemeteries. They have such character.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful that you were able to get out in nature like that. Our weather has been dreary so not much time has been spent outside lately. - Your outing sounded wonderful. I agree Cemeteries can be very educational, fascinating and even peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Always love your walks and just perfect for walking in the 60's. To have your sis along just makes the hike better. I think I really prefer the bare trees I know here in AZ, they are only bare for maybe two months before the warm temps cause them to get leaves again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Six hours in the cemetery that is awesome. I loved your hike as well, so nice to see bare ground.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful day you described ... with beautiful images ...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Enjoy every moment that winter gives you such lovely weather! What a perfect day - filled with photography and companionship.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!