100 Day Project 2021

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Sunday Sundries - Edition 33

If it be not ripe,
it will draw a man's mouth awry,
with much torment, but when it is ripe,
it is as delicious as an apricot.

Those are the words written by Captain John Smith  in 1624 describing persimmons. I've only tasted one persimmon and it did draw my mouth awry. I couldn't get to a glass of water fast enough! I can't imagine them ever tasting like an apricot! When I see persimmons I think of winter weather predictions.


In order to find out the prediction for winter weather you much split the seed in half.

If there's a spoon shape it stands for a shovel to dig out of the snow. A fork shape means a mild winter, and a knife shape indicates a cold icy winter, where wind will cut through you like a knife. I opened ten seeds and eight were definite spoons and two could have been spoons or fat knives.


Looks like those of us in Arkansas had better be getting ready for snow and ice!

You can read more about persimmons and other weather folklore on my blog post from last year if you'd like.

11 comments:

  1. I remember this from your blog last year about the seeds. Will be interesting to see if it comes true. I love Persimmons but I remember as a child trying to taste before they were ripe. Yuck not good but when they are ripe delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm hoping this prediction is true - for ME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What amazing looking fruit persimmons are, especially inside! Those seeds definitely look like shovels to me! The fruit don't sound very delicious to eat! I find it pretty difficult to find really ripe and delicious fruit to eat at this time of the year.
    Better get ready for your snowy and icy winter! I hope that we are spared this year like last year when it was extremely mild - maybe too much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why, but I am expecting a bad winter season, especially with all these bad storms we have had so far this year. I hope not, but I guess time will tell. Right now I just want the leaves to change so I can head to northern Arkansas and see the fall foliage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winter has started at ours. And it looks like it's going to be a sharp fat knife winter. I'd prefer a sooon deep winter to be honest. It's the first time I heard about persimon weather prediction. Happy to know :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know persimmons were weather predictors! But they are truly delicious when ripe, Cathy. My late in-laws in California had a tree in the back yard - that was my first experience with persimmons. I learned the secret was to let them ripen until they were very soft. My mother-in-law made persimmon cookies - very cake-like and one of my favorite kinds of cookies ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, now I know. Shovels at the ready. What beautiful pictures. Here people say it depends on how high the squirrels hide their food in the trees. I can't find any of the spots where they've hidden food so I'm going with your prediction....

    ReplyDelete
  8. What interesting folklore - I love the tiny spoon shapes inside the seeds. If the predictions are true, I look forward to your winter weather photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never had Persimmons before. Now I am intrigued to try them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I had no idea! I am going to have to pick up a few persimmons ... I saw a whole pile at the store last week. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!