100 Day Project 2021

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Photo-Heart Connection ~ October 2012






The foundation of any building is the most important part of the structure. The strength and durability of a building depends upon it’s foundation. As I explored a small ghost town recently and began to take pictures of the crumbling structures that were built in about 1899, my eyes were drawn to their foundations. Foundations that were made with uneven rock, yet put together to form a solid base. This foundation doesn't look to sturdy, does it?  The boards in this old house have rotted and the roof has sagged, but, the foundation is still strong and standing.
 
It made me think...what about me? What kind of foundation do I built my life on? The foundation of my life is built on principles and actions. I’m so very grateful that I was raised in a strong Christian home that gave me a firm foundation. My foundation includes faith, honesty, integrity, and truth. I didn’t genetically inherit these principles. I was taught them and I continue to build my life on them.
 
Storms may and will come; troubles, bills, health problems, heartaches, and death! These things may shake me, but I’ll not be moved as long as I chose each day to continue building my life on these strong principles!

When I saw the foundations of these buildings, they reminded me of a wonderful old hymn.
 
How Firm a Foundation
How firm a foundation, you saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith in His excellent Word!
What more can he say than to you He has said,
To you, who for refuge to Jesus have fled?
 
Fear not, I am with you, O be not dismayed,
For I am your God and will still give you aid;
I'll strengthen you, help you, and cause you to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.

 

Linked with Kat Eye Studio and her Photo-Heart Connection,
where we choose an image from the month that has touched our hearts!

12 comments:

  1. Pretty amazing, isn't it? Those foundations look to me like they wouldn't hold up a person, let alone a home and family, but looks can certainly be deceiving. What a great find that prompted such a positive connection with your own life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really amazing to witness these foundations - which look like they shouldn't last a week - and discover that they have, in fact, supported for decades. A brilliant metaphor for considering our own internal foundations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, Cathy. One of my favorite hymns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How amazing that those foundations really last!! This is so appropriate for your photo-heart connection -- connecting it to your own values. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those foundation do indeed look a little insecure - but look how they have lasted! I liked your feelings of connection you have when you observe these foundations and compare them to your own and how you are grateful for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful photo for this discussion, Cathy. We all need a firm foundation to build our lives, and our homes, on! I'm not surprised you were drawn to these interesting foundations. Thanks for sharing in the Photo-Heart Connection this month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, Cathy! I love the image of this old building and the imagery of a foundation. Very well said!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wonderful post. What an amazing photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those stacks of rocks look pretty precarious to build a house upon, don't they? Apparently they are sturdier than they look. It's good to ponder the foundations we've built our lives upon, and to know they're strong. This is a great photo for PHC!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!