100 Day Project 2021

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Treasures On Thursday

It's so fascinating to me that in the middle of winter my Camellia blooms!  I love that in the bareness of a cold winter day there is this bright spot of beauty.

The Christmas Camellia, which looks a lot like mine, is a species of Camellia native to the evergreen coastal forests of southern Japan. It's cultivated for practical reasons rather than decorative. the leaves are used to make tea while the seed or nuts are used to make tea seed oil, which is used for lighting, lubrication, cooking and cosmetic purposes. What a diverse plant, you could drink your tea, cook with it, and put a little oil on your skin. I'm still in awe everyday of God's creations!  And lastly, they are the state flower of Alabama. (Again, my thanks to Wikipedia for this information.)

Hope you enjoyed your botany lesson and my treasure!!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful photo and flower. I had no idea it had so many uses!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!