100 Day Project 2021

Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Paint it on a Wall


In the last few years murals have been popping up around Little Rock. Most of them are downtown close to Main Street, but there are a few in different neighborhoods. For a long time I've wanted to find them and take pictures. That is not an easy thing to accomplish with the difficulties in parking downtown. There are approximately 30 murals, some close together and some spread apart. Parking the car in a parking deck doesn't work, it's too far to walk in the summer heat. Parking close to the murals means putting money in several parking meters. I'm not ready to put that much money in meters just to jump out and take a picture or two. Jerry solved the problem for me. He volunteered to be my chauffeur. We went on a weekend when meter parking was free. When I found a mural, he'd park or if that wasn't availble he would drop me off at a corner, circle the block and pick me up. All very safely, of course!! Another advantage of Jerry driving, he kept the car cool!

Butterflies by Youri Cansell

This mural is part of the ARkanvas project, an initiative installing twelve pieces of public art across the state. The butterflies and moths are all native to The Natural State.


Woman With Dog by Steven Otis
A perfect mural to be on the side of Esse Purse Museum.


Yes We Can by Steven Otis

On the opposite side of the Purse Museum is a long mural.  I'm only showing a section because there were so many cars parked in front of it.  It's singing and dancing fruit may be the happiest mural in Little Rock.


Playtime by Jason Jones

This is one of my favorites. I mean who doesn't love a BIG red wagon? The wagon contains landmarks of downtown Little Rock; buildings, the railroad walking bridge, the Clinton Presidential Library, the State Capitol, the River Market district, and a streetcar. It encourages everyone to come downtown and play.



Eat Local Eat Often by Casey Siegel


There are several murals on the side of this parking deck by various artists. If you know me, you'll know I took the top one because of that bright pink donut! The ground between the parking deck and another building is covered with artificial turf and has picnic tables. This would be a great spot to eat lunch if you worked downtown and wanted to eat outside.



Talk With Your Hands
by Arkansas School for the Deaf Students

This amazing mural covers a block-long concrete wall. My favorite section is painted with the deaf sign for "I love you." Beginning as babies, we taught our grandchildren to form this hand sign. That way anywhere we were, we could quietly and secretly say I love you.



Mr. Rogers 143 by Levi Agee

This mural surprised me! I had no idea Mr. Rogers was downtown. The portrait on a door represents the idea of being kind to one another. The numbers 143 mean two things. In Pennsylvania, the birthplace of Mr. Rogers, the 143rd day of the year is a day of kindness in honor of the state's beloved kindness patron and promoter. The number also had a special meaning to Mr. Rogers, it reflected the number of letters in his favorite phrase, "I love you."




Edgar by Jaquite Bell

With a black crow whose name is Edgar, one automatically thinks of Edgar Allen Poe's poem The Raven. I'm guessing on this one, but I'm pretty sure that's what it represents. Also notice how the left wall, table, and chair have been painted. I like that a lot!


Covid-19 by Guy Bell

This is another long mural that I'm only showing part of. I didn't realize when I saw it what it represented, nor did I know the name of it. The tree men look like they are trying to get rid of Covid, which is massive. To me it looks like a citizen, a medical worker, and a first responder. Also, notice the couple watching TV as they are isolated together. There's also an ambulance in the right corner. I wondered why such an intricate painting is on a temporary wall. Maybe that's significant too. Maybe it's in hope that Covid will one day be gone.



Peace by Jose Hernandez and other various artists





The first mural painted on the concrete walls of this underpass was painted by Jose Hernandez. Other artist joined him in painting sections. Although the theme is peace, they are not all peaceful. Some are angry and disturbing to me. 




Welcome to Stifft's Station by Matt McLeod

Another favorite of mine. I love the bright colors and I love old streetcars. Stifft's Station is a former streetcar stop for The Heights neighborhood. The streetcar ran from 1904 until 1947.


Chanel by Kristin McCaslin

This delightful mural is painted on the side of Fashion Exchange, an upscale ladies' consignment boutique.


There have been murals on walls throughout the history of the world. People scratched them, carved them, etched them and painted them. I'm glad Little Rock decided to beautify the city and also teach through murals. As I scrolled back through my pictures, I realized the different emotions they brought to me. Some impressed me with their beauty, some made me smile and giggle, some made me think, some brought feelings of nostalgia, and some made me remember. 

Once again let me mention that this project would not have been possible without Jerry's help. Thank you, dear!


7 comments:

  1. What an interesting selection of murals and how nice that Jerry was your chauffeur doing a drop off and pick up service in a cool car!
    My favourite murals are: the delightful Woman with Dog, the beautiful butterflies and the Welcome to Stifft's Station mural!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I couldn't have done it without Jerry. The three you choose as favorites are among my favorites. I left out the ones that didn't impress me too much.

      Delete
  2. Fabulous photos and fabulous murals. We have a number of really good murals in our little town; most of them are older and depict realist scenes of the valley. The newest one (to many of the locals an eyesore) is an abstract which is supposed to be a representation of the marsh at the Wildlife Centre - I think it is butt ugly. Thanks for sharing Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Some of the murals I found were not attractive at all. I left those out!

      Delete
  3. Oh, thank you for taking the time to photograph these murals, Cathy (and thank Jerry, too!). What beautiful and fun creations... Of course, being from Pittsburgh, I especially love the Mr. Rogers' one--he is a legend here with a special statue of him down by the river that kids can climb up and sit on his lap :) And the red wagon is wonderful, too--such an iconic part of most childhoods. Really enjoyed your tour and I hope the murals remain graffiti free! Enjoy your week ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!