100 Day Project 2021

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Happy First Day of Spring to you!!


The first day of spring has arrived in Arkansas with cool temperatures, cloudy skies, and brisk winds. Although today is the official first day of spring, flowers have been springing out for the last couple of weeks. We've had some wonderful warm days with sun shining on the blossoms of spring. How about taking a stroll around the yard with me? 


You'll see spring colors just as soon as we step out on the porch. My Forsythia bush blazes with yellow in front of my neighbor's Bradford Pear.


We'll head around the front of the house where you'll see my two Chinese Fringeflower bushes. My daughter bought me these several years ago and they are fascinating to watch in the spring. The blossoms begin as tiny, tight buds that slowly uncurl. My bushes have gotten huge. They're both about 10 feet tall now and loaded with blossoms!



Of course, it wouldn't be spring without weeds! The lower part of our property, which we call the pasture although it's not really a pasture, is full of weeds. It's such a beautiful sight in spring. I have to encourage Jerry not to mow too early so I can enjoy the colors of spring weeds. Among my favorites are the Creeping Buttercups (Renunculus repens) and Purple Deadnettle (Lamium purpureum) which has the Greek translation "the devouring purple monster." Spring weeds may be a gardener's worst nightmare, but they do have good qualities. Purple Deadnettle is one of the first weeds to bloom in spring and are therefore a great source of nectar for bees. I can testify to that! These patches of weeds are buzzing with bees! Deadnettles are also a highly nutritious super food that are in the mint family. The leaves and the purple tops are edible and can be used in salads, soups, and smoothies.


If you'd like we can relax for a little while in my swing. There we can see the Phlox and Jonquils showing off their colors while dancing in the breeze. We can watch the birds flitting through the tree branches and finally landing on the feeders. Their spring songs are delightful!




I hope you've enjoyed our short walk and seeing spring in my yard.
I also hope you're enjoying your First Day of Spring!!

"Flowers appear on the earth;
the season of singing has come,
the cooing of doves
is heard in our land."
~ Song of Solomon 2:12



11 comments:

  1. If you are out giving us a tour you must be feeling well. I am amazed at all the color. We are still waiting for the daffodils to emerge. It is still cold at night - 20's, and we are doing good to get to the 40's during the day. That didn't stop me from an adventure this week though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, your spring photos are a breath of fresh air, Cathy, as it is currently snowing here in western Pennsylvania. Not a spring flower has bloomed yet... Thank you for making me smile on this first day of Spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite time of year, Cathy! Your flowers are beautiful ��

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Cathy, what absolute beauty you have in your garden and yard. Each photo is sheer joy to my eyes! I don't know which capture I like the best, so I'll just love them all the same! I do love that second capture against the blue sky with a hint of paler pink blossom in the background. Those Chinese Fringe-flower bushes are amazing. I can see how tight and round the little bud is before the flower opens up! The Forsythia and Daffodils really spell spring to me!

    I am so glad to see that you are feeling well enough to get out into your yard with your camera!

    Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your area is so lovely this time of year with all the colors of spring, both those you've planted, and those that grow wild. I enjoyed seeing the wild flowers and reading about them. I absolutely love the Chinese Fringeflower bush flowers. And your porch swing sounds like the perfect place to relax, listening to singing birds, looking at blue skies and pretty flowers. Sounds very beautiful. Thank you for taking us on a tour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful colour you have in your yard Cathy. My yard is still mostly snow covered and there are no blossoms yet - sigh!. I like that you even include the 'weeds' in your tour and introduced me to one I do not know. I am so looking forward to seeing some colour in my neck of the woods. Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed the walk. Your flowers and weeds are so stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love blooming weeds and was very sad when one of my favorite vacant lots was scraped raw and had new houses built on it a couple of years ago. Maine is having its usual first week of spring, cold and windy and snowy. Thanks for the walk around your beautiful flowering yard!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty signs of spring. I haven't been out around the neighborhood to take spring flower pictures yet. Guess I should get at that before they are all finished blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trik Menang Bermain Situs Judi Sabung Ayam Online Yang Jarang Diketahui Klik Di Sini

    Informasi Terlengkap Mengenai Sabung Ayam
    https://bvsateayam.blogspot.com/2018/12/sejumlah-style-taji-untuk-ayam-aduan.html/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!