100 Day Project 2021

Friday, January 29, 2016

Hiking In The Snow


There are things in our life that we want to do, but circumstances don't always allow them to happen. Such was the case with my desire to get a picture of the Old Mill in the snow. I've wanted to do that for years, but it's in an area with hilly roads that become slick in snowy/icy weather. Finally, I was able to get there in the snow. The roadways were clear, but the snow was still on the ground. I knew it had to have been much prettier the day before when all those trees were covered in snow, but instead of feeling disappointed I decided to just accept what it was and be thankful that I got there at all!


My sister was with me and we decided we weren't ready to head home. We were enjoying the snow and the sunshine, so we headed to Pinnacle Mountain State Park. In the picture above Pinnacle is in the distance covered in snow.


Near the visitor's center is a beautiful quarry. I don't know what type of minerals are in this water, but it is a beautiful blue/green. Beginning at the quarry is a trail that we've never hiked. We debated whether to hike it for about, oh, five seconds and then we hit the trail.


We realized as we began walking that no one had walked the trail since it had snowed. We couldn't decide it that was cool thing or if maybe others knew better than to walk the snowy trail.


As we went deeper in the woods, the trail became less visible under the snow. If the trail had not been marked so well with green paint on the trees, we would never have competed it. Who knows where we would have wound up. At least, we knew we couldn't get lost, we only had to turn around and follow our footsteps out.


There is just something so magical about hiking in the snow. It's amazingly quiet. Sometimes the only sound was the water flowing down several small creeks that we had to cross. 



After seeing all the snow in other parts of the US, it makes me very grateful that when it snows, it's usually only small amounts; six inches this time. Our lives return to normal pretty quickly!  Of course, there's nothing normal about Arkansas weather!  It was up in the 60's today and will be close to 70 tomorrow! 

11 comments:

  1. The snow in the woods looks so peaceful. Love that stone building reminds me of places in France.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this mill from a previous post. The stone building is beautiful against the snow. And I love that sinuous snow-topped stone wall in front of the blue-green water - that's a lovely image. Thank you for sharing your wonderful snowy hike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love seeing the Old Mill in the snow. I remember seeing it in other seasons too! What a gorgeous hike you did. Love your upside down shot in the crystal ball as well! Beautiful shot with the turquoise water and snowy ledge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet that water has calcium citrate in it - that can give the lovely blue-green tint. Yes, if yours are the only footprints, you can always find your way back! Sometimes, I follow fox and coyote tracks through the woods. The old mill and the pristine trails are lovely with the blanket of snow. I guess it will soon all be melted by you. We're under a winter storm warning here in CO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy these are so lovely. The Old Mill in the snow looks wonderful. - It looked like a great place to hike and the color of that water is fabulous.
    Just so you know I nominated you for a Photo Quote Challenge today - Feel free to participate if you want but you don't have to if you don't have the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading about you and your sister's adventures with your cameras. It's wonderful that the two of you enjoy each other and the same hobby. The woods covered in snow are so beautiful and I can only image the peace and calm the two of you must have felt as you ventured onto the trial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snow and then the 70's that is crazy. Most of our snow is gone, temps in the 40's and raining.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a gorgeous post, Cathy--I'm amazed at that water color!! The Old Mill would be beautiful in any season, I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a gorgeous place!!! lot's of snow on the roof makes it an extra special image!!!

    and the water, wow, what an amazing capture!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How I'd love to do that hike, Cathy! The snow makes everything so clean and fresh....your photos are wonderful. The quarry water is amazing. I imagine the snow is all gone now....good that you got out there with your camera.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!