100 Day Project 2021

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Photos Of The Old Mill

I had a wonderful afternoon! I spent it at the Old Mill in central Arkansas. It's sad, because I live fairly close and haven't been there in years. It's a beautiful, peaceful place to visit. I went shortly after it stopped raining and there were only a few people there. Perfect for lots of photos!
The mill is a historic re-creation of an 1880's water-powered grist mill. It is in the opening scenes of the classic movie "Gone With The Wind" which was released in 1939. It is believed to be the only remaining structure from the movie.
 
The mill finished in 1933 is in T. R. Pugh Memorial Park. The bridges and benches were sculptured by Dionicio Rodriguez of concrete to represent wood, iron or stone. For a while I just sat on one of the benches, listening to the birds, smelling the spring flowers,  and soaking in a little sun! Very refreshing and calming!
There were several ducks on the lake. I loved the way you could see this one's reflection in the water.
The flowers are just gorgeous. So many things were in bloom. I liked the way this bloom is struggling to peek out from under a hosta.
There were lots of tulips in many colors.  They are such a bright, happy spring flower.
This was a very unusual tulip. At least I think it's a tulip! The blades looked like tulip blades. It's like a double one!
This cute little toadstool was in another park nearby. It's also made out of concrete to look like wood. I think it would be fun to sit under the toadstool and read a book.
Also, in this park there's a couple of really neat rock bridges. There were lots of ducks and geese swimming around this area.
You may see some more pictures soon. I plan to take my Mom and Dad there next week if the weather holds out! I've already thought of some different angles I would like to take of the mill. Don't laugh but I took 165 pictures today. Aren't you glad I didn't post them all! I probably would have taken more except I filled up my memory card!! Next time I'll take the bigger memory card!

3 comments:

  1. The very first picture reminds me of a Thomas Kincaid painting. The Old Mill is a beautiful, serene place to visit. I'm envious of your Friday afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo, so pretty! I love the Old Mill. It would be great to take the boys there when everything is blooming, although one of them would probably end up in the lake. Love your flower photos too! You're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo, so pretty! I love the Old Mill. It would be great to take the boys there when everything is blooming, although one of them would probably end up in the lake. Love your flower photos too! You're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!