100 Day Project 2021

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Clean Up Time!!!




The weather has been beautiful today; sunny skies and warmer temperatures. Mr. H and I spent the afternoon cleaning up debris from the recent winter storm. We picked up and burned fallen limbs and branches. We made a good start, but there’s several more days work to be done!

During one of my breaks, I grabbed a glass of water, a small piece of chocolate candy, and sat in my swing for a few moments just absorbing the moment. I thought about what I could see, then I closed my eyes and just listened. I also paid attention to what I could smell, taste, and feel.

I looked around the yard and saw the branches and limbs that still needed to be picked up; trees with broken branches; my husband raking up a pile of small limbs and carrying them to the burning pile; the bright yellow, red, and orange flames of the fire against the charred logs; and the smoke that filled the air. As I sat there I saw an occasional bird crossing the fading blue skies as the sun began to set.

It was very quiet in our neighborhood today. So quiet that even though I wasn’t sitting very close to the fire I could hear it popping and crackling. I could hear the rake scrapping the ground, a car on the road below us, and one bird who just wouldn’t stop scolding!

I took a deep breath and smelled the damp earth from the recent snow storm and of course, burning wood.

I tasted the refreshing water and just a hint of orange in the chocolate candy.

The glass felt cool and smooth in my hand. After I sat it down, I reached out and felt the twill fabric of my gardening gloves, the soft denim of my oldest jeans, and the rough wood of the swing.

It’s hard to describe the feelings that were flowing through me. I always feel happy when we’re working together on our property. In fact, I find much more pleasure in working outside than inside! There were also feelings of contentment, peace, and thankfulness that we are so blessed to have a lovely place and to have each other.
 
I like this picture. I blurred it on purpose. It's like what I saw when I squinted my eyes!

It was nice to sit there for a few minutes and absorb the moment with my senses!  Give it a try; pick a spot, write down what you see, hear, smell, taste, touch and feel. Take the time to be "in the moment!"
 
This was an exercise in connecting with our senses for a class I'm taking,
Fuel Your Creativity, at Kat Eye Studio.

5 comments:

  1. I love the blurred picture of the fire. It's exactly like it would look through squinted eyes!Such lovely orange and yellow colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to sit and think things through too. Chocolate is a bonus. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous photos cathy and what a great exercise!! i swear i could almost feel the warmth and smell the smoke. such a great reminder to really plug into to my surroundings and take it all in. thank you friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written. I was there with you, sensing everything you were experiencing. I like the fire bokeh and its lovely saturated colors.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!