100 Day Project 2021

Sunday, March 20, 2011

National Quilt Day

Saturday was National Quilt Day. I was so busy working on my quilts that I didn't take the time to post. I pieced two small blocks for my newest $5 quilt. It's in tan, neutrals, and light browns.

And then I sewed the binding on my snowman quilt and began hand stitching the back of the binding down.

To celebrate this holiday I thought I'd share a a few quilts that are special to me. I'll start with some of the oldest. These were made by my Grandmother "Nannie."  Nannie quilted out of necessity. The quilts she made weren't hung on the wall or put on a bed just for show. They were used and used well! She used whatever fabrics she could find, scraps from sewing projects or  pieces of worn garments. Mom says she can remember Nannie picking out which sack of flour she wanted by the print on the fabric bag.

This is where I keep my Grandmother's quilts.

The one on the top is a Log Cabin. It is in really poor condition. It was definitely a quilt that was well used. Scrappy quilts are my  favorite. You can sit and study the fabrics forever. You wonder where all the fabrics came from.

Here's a couple of close ups for a good look at the fabrics.


 The next quilt is a Lone Star. This took more planing and possibly some of the fabrics had to be purchased instead of using scraps.

 The last quilt is a Maple Leaf. This is one of my favorite quilt patterns. I love the green fabric she chose for the sashing.

 I really like the fabric in the upper left corner. It's quite different and very bright.

 Love the roses on the blue on this one!
And one last quilt. When my Grandfather passed away the grand kids were able to get a few keepsakes of theirs. There were a few of Nannie's quilts and of course we all had picked out our favorite. So, to be fair, they placed them in black trash bags and we drew numbers. I drew #1 and got to first pick of the bags. This is the quilt I received. My Mom and Nannie called it Drunkard's Path, but I have seen it by other names.

I was going to post all of my quilts today, but that would have been a very long post. I chose instead to show only my Grandmother's and show some closeups of the fabrics. Maybe I'll celebrate this whole week with quilts!

3 comments:

  1. My favorite is the Lone Star! That is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember sleeping under the log cabin quilt! That is by far my most favorite pattern. I'm glad you shared the story of how you got the drunkard's path quilt. I didn't remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always liked Nannie's old quilts. They are my favorite antiques that I have. Loved seeing all the quilts and they reminded me of mine.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!