100 Day Project 2021

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Photo-Heart Connection ~ August 2012



Sometimes you just run across something that makes you stop and take a second look. I was with my sister taking photos of the county courthouse in her town. I've become fascinated with historic buildings and their beautiful architecture. As I walked beside the courthouse, I glanced at the building next door and saw this hole in the outer layer of this old wall. Maybe it was crumbling or just plain ugly, I don't know, but the old brick wall was plastered over and then painted. I stopped grabbed one quick shot and moved on. Little did I know, how that photo would stick in my mind. I kept thinking about the pealing plaster and paint.
 
This wall reminds me of myself. It reminded me of the thick layer of fear and self-doubt that keeps me from doing many things. It reminded me how I try to paint over that fear with smiles, even though the anxiety and panic attacks are still there, deep inside. Since I began this journey into photography, I'm glad to say, that I'm finally beginning to peal away those layers and let the real, authentic me out!  I've even signed up this month for a macro photography class where thy critique your photos!!  Oh my, that's scary, putting my art out there to be criticised. It took me three days to get brave enough to register, but I did. Give me just a second while I peel away another layer of fear!!  I've had one photo critiqued and it wasn't as painful as I though it would be!!!  Somehow, having a camera in my hand makes me braver, more self-confident, and definitely brings out true smiles! I'll keep working on myself. With my new found confidence and my camera I feel like I can do so much more than I ever thought was possible!

Linking with Kat Eye Studio's Photo-Heart Connection where once a month we find a photo that connects with our hearts. I hope you'll take the time and visit Kat's site and read about the connections that others have found this month.

14 comments:

  1. oh cathy. i'm reading this and nodding my head. tears in my eyes. omg i can so totally relate. yes - the fear is so frustating! but i am standing on my chair clapping and so happy for you for putting yourself out there for CRITIQUE! that's so huge. bravo my friend!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Cathy, to register for a macro class... Peeling away your layers like that wall! Have a wonderful class, you will learn lots of lovely things to put into practice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it funny, the things we hide behind our plastered façades, things that no one would ever guess? I so enjoy your photography and the thoughts you share on your blog. It would never have occurred to me that you were held back by fear and self-doubt. (Welcome to the club.) It was brave of you to post this!

    Congratulations on your new class! And, by the way, I LOVE this photo, the composition, the subtle colors and textures. There's something a bit mysterious and provocative about it - perhaps it's that sense of something hidden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your words resonate with me...I don't know you, but I must say how wonderful it is that you've been brave enough to signup for a class. Congratulations! One day I hope to find that courage! Your image is stunning...simple yes, bit it says so much...your words say it best. I love the composition...perfectly done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy,
    First of all, the photo really is wonderful, and that caught my eye. I love the textures and the layers, the colors.
    But more importantly I learned something about You! What a brave soul you are to share this part of you, to let us know of your fears...which I never would have suspected.
    This is a fabulous photo heart connection that I am so privileged to get to witness.
    Peace and blessings to you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the shot but I love your words even more. You are like a new bloom revealing your enter self through your photography. Keep the photos coming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Cathy! This post and image are the very definition of a "Photo-Heart" connection. You have recognized your fears, shared them with us and are now moving toward that fear with wild abandon. It is so inspiring to a witness your transformation, peeling back those layers until you blaze forth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool that an image pertains to you so much. Panic, anxiety, doubt-those are scary words and some that I know all too well. Perhaps everyone does, maybe it just doesn't look like they do. I once read something about being "brave"-that each time you step outside what is comfortable-signing up for that class-that it is a very brave thing to do. I recently attended a body pump weight lifting class for the first time (still paying the price on sore muscles) but I felt like turning the handle on the door to the room was very brave. Same thing. Like your photo too. Reminds me I should go back to our county courthouse-great architecture and I'm sure some peeling paint too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, well done on registering for the class, and for all it means, and this image is so perfect for summing that up. It is a gorgeous photograph as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Cathy,

    I had no idea you had this doubt about your photos, they always amaze me and wish I could do more with my photos. Thank you for sharing this part of you and trusting us with it. I'm so happy and proud of you for sharing and signing up for the class. Please believe me when I say your photos and words are stunning, heartfelt, filled with JOY is all I see when you share them.
    This was a perfect photo for you to use with your words, I have peeling to do also. Good for you taking those first steps. Hope you will recognize the gift you have and how lucky we are that you INSPIRE us with your photos.

    Take care dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love what I can see under the layers of paint, it represents what you give us with your photo's a part of you, even if it whas a stuggle for you. I am so happy you share it with us now, its so beautiful, I love just what you see, just often the simple things in life. Not things from far, expensive or exclusive, but so close at your home and even so beautiful and expressive. It hit my heart again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic image. Love your photo-heart connection, I can relate to your words so much, having a camera and taking photos has also helped me to let my most authentic self out. Thanks for sharing, I am so glad I read this post today

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love when a photograph reminds me of one of my own characteristics. And I love that it happened to you, even if it's scary, how you are peeling away the anxiety and growing -- and the photo is pretty darn awesome, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing Photo-Heart Connection, Cathy! I'm so excited for you, peeling away the layers of fear and trying new things like the macro photography class. You are awesome! This is the perfect image to represent the layers that are you. I love the depth and texture inside. Thanks for joining in this month, with this joyous message of self-discovery!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!