100 Day Project 2021

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Learning Never Ends

When I first began photography, I naively thought that after I learned about my camera and it's settings, I was set to go. I was certainly wrong!!  In the world of photography you never stop learning. In fact, to improve, you must continue to search for,  read about, and try new things. There are thousands of  articles, tutorials, classes, and tips on various photographic techniques. One thing I'm seeing more and more of is using textures in post processing. I've never done very much, in fact with my macro photography I pretty much stick to what comes out of the camera. I may add a little contrast or edit the color a little, but usually I'm pretty happy with nature just as it is. Recently I've been wanting to try my hand at editing with textures and just see what it's all about.  I took three pictures and editing them in PicMonkey, a free editing program. I didn't have a clue what I was doing!! I just played until I was happy with the image.   I've shown the original first and then the edited photo.
 
 
This is a nice flower, but the green leaves at the top tend to distract the eye.

 I added a texture on this photo and then erased it from the flower. This left a subtle texture around the edges.



The original of the sunflower is fine, but just a little dull.

The texture I added gave it a warm feeling and then I fancy cut the edges.


 
 This photo of Cosmo needed a little something on the background to give it life
 
 I went real far out on this one and added a paint texture and then roughed the edges. I like the way this one turned out, it does look like a painting.
 

I was encouraged to try something new or different this week by Brenda at How To Feather An Empty Nest.  I'm linking this post with her new "Third Thursday Challenge."  I know Brenda through online classes and blogging. I encourage you to stop by her blog and see her amazing architectural images!  She is constantly taking my breath away with the graphics, colors, reflections,  and angles that she captures as she walks around town.  She will show you a whole new way to look at buildings!  Photography is an ongoing learning process and I can only learn if I try. Thanks, Brenda, for encouraging me to try something new!

 
Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.
~Oliver Wendell Holmes
 

5 comments:

  1. Cathy - I am so happy you took the challenge, using it to push you into experimenting with textures and post-processing. It seems like you had a lot of fun, adding new and interesting elements to each of your photos. Post-processing simply gives you another way to interact with your images and expand your creativity. I think your experiments were very successful and I love seeing you spread your post-processing wings! Thank you for your kind words about my work. I appreciate your participation in the first Third Thursday Challenge - your work exemplifies what I was hoping to accomplish when I came up with this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NIce one, I like what you've done here with these flowers, particularly the last.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sunflower and like the last one as well, gorgeous. I've not used textures on my photos, but I'm tempted to give it a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i so totally agree with you about photography being a learning process. and i think that's the thing i love the most - just about the time i feel like i'm at a plateau, there's a whole new thing to discover. like textures. i love how just by adding a little texture can totally transform the look and feel of a photo!

    love how you've experimented here - all great shots. amazing how the last photo looks like an oil-painting! so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you had a fun time learning something new! Your results are wonderful. I especially like the first one and how you eliminated the distractions and made the flower just pop.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!