100 Day Project 2021

Monday, November 19, 2012

Exploring With A Camera ~ Chiaroscuro

 
The exploration with Kat at Kat Eye View this month was a little difficult for me. We explored Chiaroscuro in photography. For one thing you can't just set up something and shoot it. You have to wait for the light to be just right. Chiaroscuro is a study of contrasted light and shadow created by light falling unevenly or from a particular direction on something. Kat gives a wonderful definition of this type of photography and has some great photo examples on her web site above.
 
Here's what I came up with...

The morning sun illuminated this bench which was sitting in the shade of a tree creating shadows with a dramatic feel.


I used a flashlight to illuminate the shell in a darkened room.


I love the light coming through the window shining on my youngest grandson. Of course, this is my absolute favorite!
 
 
The light and shadows creates a feeling of  quiet and peacefulness in this church.



Here, light filtering through the forest illuminated the spider web. I read something about spiders this week. Did you know they weave with two types of silks; one that is sticky to capture their prey and one that is not sticky so they can move about their web without getting caught in their own web!  I've never really thought about how a spider climbs about it's own web! 
 
This was an interesting challenge that took some thought. It's a reminder how the different uses of light can change an image.
 


"Find beauty not only in the thing itself but in the pattern of the shadows,
the light and dark which that thing provides."
- Junichiro Tanizaki

12 comments:

  1. Well, your images don't look at all like you had any difficulty! I so admire your ability to capture your grandsons - that window shot is so lovely, with the soft light falling on his face and that pensive expression. Also love the church - with the extreme contrast between the windows and the darkened interior, there is such drama to the shot. Well done! Pushing ourselves is a good thing, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, I'm so glad you took on the challenge. You created some amazing images! The last one, with the light and shadow of the woods and the spider web is really beautiful. You've managed to highlight the beauty of the web but still keep a sense of the woods. And I have to agree with you on the one of your grandson, it's my favorite too. There is something about the dramatic contrast of light/dark in a portrait like this that conveys a strong mood. A wonderful moment captured! Thank you for joining Exploring with a Camera this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the shot of your darling little grandson and it has to be my favourite. That spider's web is beautiful too. I was interested to read about the two sorts of web: the sticky and the non-sticky! You've done a great job with this exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the picture of your grandson too. I haven't tried chiaroscuro in any portraits yet but if they come out as nicely as yours I'll be very happy!. I really love the image of the church as well. The contrast has really enhanced the mood of sombre peace, so beautiful. That spider web is gorgeous too. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that image of your grandson, too! Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely dramatic shots with light & dark- the light on your grandsons face is just beautiful & i really like the way you've captured the spider web.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Cathy, someone has left a comment on my blog under the name "Unknown", I don't know who it is to visit them back! I guess it isn't you as you also work with blogspot like me. Sometimes there are issues between Wordpress and Blogspot. This was a fun, though not so easy for me, exercise, wasn't it? Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think every single one of these is beautiful, each in a different way. I like the glow of the bench, the drama and texture of the shell, the mood of the church, and of course the tenderness of the portrait. And the lit-up spiderweb against a woodland background is captivating, I just want to step right in and explore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Breath taking shots, Cathy. All beautiful and a joy to behold. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the bend phto is so amazing, so captivating! great chiaroscuro pics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. BEAUTIFUL! I didn't see these on flickr. Thanks for sharing the link!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!