100 Day Project 2021

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Photo-Heart Connection ~ April


Roses, growing wild, abandoned, uncared for, yet they bloom.  They bloom along the road where I walk, so I see them every day.  They remind me of my grandmother, known to all as Nannie.  My memory takes me back about 50 years when I was a little girl.  We attended the same  small country church as my grandparents.  I can still remember the wooden slat pews, the tan hymnals, and I definitely remember the heat, there was no air conditioning.  Nannie had several flower gardens and red climbing rose bushes.  During the summer she loved to take vases of her flowers and place them on the communion table.  Sometimes she would take her roses.  She would just cut off a long stem covered in roses and place them on top of the old upright piano. She always placed a white, crocheted, oblong doily under them.  I can still remember the smell that permeated the small church.  As I pass these roses I smile, I remember, and I breath their sweet scent!!

Linked to Kat Eye Studio Photo-Heart Connection

kat eye view

12 comments:

  1. What a sweet memory, Cathy! Your grandmother shared the beauty of her roses with everyone in your church. It's it amazing how smells can transport us to an earlier times? Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story and photo, Cathy. No florist roses, no matter how perfect, can touch these wild, old-fashioned ones for that heavenly scent and the memories they evoke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely memory and beautiful tribute to your Nannie - scent is such a strong trigger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh the sweet scent of Wild Roses fills the air. - These are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely story about your grandmother and her beautiful roses. I liked the touch of the white, crocheted oblong doily under the vase which was placed on the top of the old upright piano!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These roses are stunning, and the memory you shared is just priceless. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this memory, so beautiful. Such a pretty image too. I love roses and your memory description is so evocative I can almost smell them too. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know what I like more the beautiful photo you shared or the story behind it.

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a wonderful connection, I love memories like that and isn't it amazing how a smell can invoke a memory just as much as a visual one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cathy,
    Isn't it amazing the way scents and images can bring back such vivid memories?! Lovely journey down memory lane and the color of these roses - wow! Wonderful post for PHC.
    Happy week to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great memory... thanks for sharing, it made smile!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing this wonderful memory! It's great you get to see this every day, taking you back to a special time and place. Thanks for sharing in the Photo-Heart Connection! Sorry it took me so long to come by this month. See you soon - next month's post will be just over a week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!