100 Day Project 2021

Thursday, January 30, 2020

Fog Horn Needed


It seems this January has been especially full of dreary, rainy, and foggy days. I have decided since those days seem to never end, I'd better just go out and take advance of the fresh air!


If you look close enough you'll find a little bright color in the drab winter colors. There always seems to be dead limbs and branches scattered about and most of those have fascinating lichen growing on them. I saw a quote from "Braiding Sweetgrass" written by Robin Wall Kimmerer.  She states that  "when you find lichens, you know you’re breathing the purest air. Pay attention when it departs." If that's true, our air must be pretty good!


I love how the inside of a small acorn is such a pretty orange. Thanks to the squirrels for cracking them and letting me see the inside!


I know it's not one of the prettiest colors, but I love shades of earthy brown. This fruit from the sycamore tree is about one and one-half inches across. Look how much detail there is and how many shades of brown. And, that stem, be still my heart . . . I love it!


When the burr-like fruit matures, it bursts open revealing many small seed-like fruits with fuzzy hair-like structures attached. Their lightness allows the wind and birds, as well as water, to carry the seeds far away. A friend of mine mentioned this looks like a makeup brush. That's true!


You know, the dark colors of fog and winter are not too bad. They lend a sense of mystery and intrigue. On the other hand, I need sunshine a little more often. I wish I had kept a record of how many days this month we've seen sun, but I didn't. I just know the days have been few!



7 comments:

  1. You are right about the gloomy days in January this year! But your lovely photos made me think that I must remember to look more closely to find the natural beauty waiting for me on my hikes! I am usually concentrating on avoiding ice and/or mud! Thanks for this reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely mysterious foggy captures and welcome touches of bright colour. I especially like the composition of the inside of the acorn cup. That fluffy little powder puff brush is just lovely! There is always something beautiful to see and appreciate, whatever the weather and you have shown that here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos Cathy and you found more colour than I expected - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got out in the fog because you got some neat shots. Always glad when you post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You captured so much beauty even on those foggy January days, Cathy! Hope February dawns bright and sunny for you tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to not be a huge fan of gray days - but the light really does make for some beautiful photos! Yours are stunning. I love the little bits of color as well! I’ve heard that about the lichen, and always feel fortunate that we have so much here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like winter around here too, fog, lots of rain, snow. Lichens are fascinating, mostly they can't produce chlorophyll hence their muted colors.. That one looks like Lungwort.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!