100 Day Project 2021

Saturday, January 18, 2020

A Tribute to my Dad


Hollis Ray Hardin
March 10, 1929 - January 6, 2020


I’ve been thinking of ways to describe my dad. He was humorous, he never met a stranger, he could do just about anything he tried, and he loved to tease. If you were to meet him, most likely he’d have you smiling within a few minutes. He called everyone ornery. In fact, on his last day I asked him if he knew who I was. He said “you’re my ornery daughter!” I told him I learned to be ornery from the orneriest person I know. He smiled! I smiled!

He was a handsome man with dark hair and gorgeous blue eyes that always had a mischievous twinkle in them. I can see why my mother fell for him.


When my dad could no longer walk and transfer himself, we had to move him to a care facility. Even though no one wants to be in a care facility, my dad was accepting of his new home.  He spent a lot of time sitting looking out the front window at a busy highway. Many residents and staff members knew he didn’t like yellow cars, that there were more white and black cars than any other color, and that he wanted a three-wheel motorcycle (he pronounced it motorsickle.)

The second day dad was at the facility, I pushed him into the dining room and introduced him to a few people. “This is my dad. His name is Hollis Hardin.” One lady from across the room yelled “we know who he is, he’s the ice cream man!” My dad loved to eat ice cream and by the second day several residents and staff knew it!

He also loved his hot chocolate. As an Alzheimer’s patient he didn’t always know to ask for things he needed, but hot chocolate was the exception. One day I was watching through a window as he ate his meal. If I went into the dining room he would stop eating, so I always waiting for him to finish. Anyway, with a very loud and gruff voice he yelled “hot chocolate!” I couldn’t believe that was my dad! That was the first time I'd heard him yell in years and then he only yelled at his hunting dogs. One day he had several residents in the dining room yelling with him. I thought there might be a hot chocolate riot!


When I visited him, I only planned to stay a few minutes but I always stayed much longer. It was very relaxing sitting there with him, watching the cars go by, listening to his stories once again, and trying to make him laugh or smile.

I’m grateful for the last months I had with my dad. I will always treasure those times. My dad is now in a much better place. He’s in Heaven with his Lord, my mom, and a host of other relatives and friends. I miss him! I miss him a lot, but I know he’s so very happy and full of joy!





9 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss, Cathy; I truly enjoyed reading your wonderful tribute. It brought tears to me eyes and also smiles when I read about the possible "hot chocolate" riot. I'm so glad he knew you at the end and you got that blessed smile from him... The last time I saw my dad (just a few weeks before he died with Lewy Body Dementia in 2014), he said, "You little sweetheart, you, I love you so much." He hadn't known me in many, many months so this was a true gift. I'm glad your dad is with your beautiful mom--at peace and happy together once again. Treasure your memories--he sounds like a wonderful man ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwh!! That is a very sweet tribute to dad! Love you sis!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job. I am just glad he new us in the end. I am glad for the last 5 months. Before I would just see him a few minutes at a time, several times a day. In the end I am glad that we say him often. He did love looking out the window.
    Dad talked a lot about heaven. He was ready to go see mom. I am sure he has made many friends in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your dad with us. I feel like I knew him.Wish I had! I hope your memories bring you peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful tribute to your dad, Cathy. He sounded quite a character. I learnt a new word too: 'ornery'! He was certainly a handsome young man and I see his lovely blue eyes in your first portrait of him. That must be your pretty mum too. So lovely to have these happy photos of them.
    I can tell you had a loving bond with your dad, and yes, you will always miss him, though the intensity of your loss will soften with time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely tribute Cathy. It made me think of my dad who has passed on too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet tribute! Sounds like a wonderful father. Sharing stories with family and friends brings comfort during sad times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Consider the type of home that you want. There are condominiums, town house, single-family homes to choose from. Figure out what you want your home to be made of. How old do you want your home to be? These are a few things that will help you narrow the market down to the homes that you are interested in.
    satta king
    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete
  9. Consider the measure of room you have, the instruments you have and obviously, the measure of time you have
    play bazaar
    satta king
    satta king

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!