100 Day Project 2021

Thursday, January 2, 2020

First Day Hike



New Year's Day dawned cold, damp, and windy. Not exactly the kind of day I'd pick for hiking, but since I wanted to participate in the state park's "First Day Hike" I braved the weather and headed to Pinnacle Mountain State park


Now, before you say "oh, you should never hike alone" let me explain. I was alone in a park with many, many others. So full in fact, that I had to park in the overflow parking area. It was so good to see families and groups out enjoying our state parks!


And, for those of you who know Pinnacle Mountain and it's trails, I did not climb the mountain!! Since I've been a little under the weather since Christmas I choose the Kingfisher Trail that is paved and flat. It winds beside the Maumelle River with large cypress trees, which I love! I walked the trail twice. I find that if I turn around and walk the way I came I see so many things I missed. To be honest I'll probably never climb the mountain trails again. My knees are just too old!!


It's damp in this wetland area, which creates great surfaces for lichen to grow. I didn't notice this log until I was on my way out. There's the reason for turning around and rewalking the trail.


I heard a small airplane in the distance and happened to look up. At first I thought he might be having trouble as black smoke pillowed from the tail area. Then I noticed he was doing tricks, rolling and spiraling. He was gone for a while and then came back right over the mountain top. I snapped this picture, but wished I'd been just a little more patient, because he drew a heart shape over the mountain with his smoke! So cool, but my camera wasn't quick enough to get the whole heart.


As I mentioned. I parked in the overflow parking area. I've never been on that road before. As I was turning into the area, I noticed this pretty red barn. Who knew!! I've been coming to Pinnacle Mountains for years and just a few yards down a different road and I spot something new! My first surprise of the year!

Even though it was cold, it was a great day to get out and enjoy nature! We are so blessed with nature's beauty in Arkansas.

* * * * *
I wanted to take a minute to thank each of you who stop by here, read my words, and look at the pictures I share. A couple of posts ago I mentioned that I wasn't sure I'd continue this blog. Your thoughts on my blog overwhelmed me! I am so grateful to have such a wonderful group of friends who drop by!

I do like to blog, I do like to share my pictures, and of course, I do love to read your comments. But, even without the encouraging comments I would have decided to continue. I like my space here. I'm still thinking on how often I'll blog and what I'll be blogging about.

Anyway, once again thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kindness and friendship!

Happy New Year to each of you!
May this year bring you joy and be full of wonderful memories!


15 comments:

  1. Oh what beautiful photos of the park's landscape, Cathy. I love the lichen. Getting out there no matter what the weather is my goal for 2020. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barb! Weather doesn't usually effect me, except it makes the pictures so dark!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful First Day hike you did! I especially love the red barn. I agree with you that simply turning round on a walk to come back the same way helps us see the same things from another point of view!

    I know that blogging is not as popular as it used to be, but I continue to do so as it's a place to put my favourite photos and remind myself of all the lovely places I visited or just simply snippets of my daily life. So I've decided to continue blogging as well, but will space out my entries. At the moment, posting twice a month sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have a lovely hike. I wish the weather had been better. My pictures were rather dull. Blogging at twice a month is what I was thinking about, too!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful trip you took us on today. Your photos are wonderful and share a part of the country I know I will never see in person (I hate travelling). I am glad you will be continuing to blog and to share your world with us. Happy New Year Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing other parts of the world is one of the best things about blogging and photo sharing sites. I don't travel much either!

      Delete
  4. That was a beautiful hike! What good advice about hiking back to see what you have missed! I often like to hike a circular route but will add to my trail list now. Just going out and coming back the same way and see what new surprises I can spot! Happy New Year and Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you, too! It's always amazed me how I can walk the same area, even in my own yard, and see something new and interesting every time!

      Delete
  5. Although I usually hike in warm weather, there is something quite refreshing about a cooler day's hike. Lovely photos and how nice to live near such a pretty park, Cathy! So glad you will continue your blog--I always enjoy stopping by when I see you've posted :) Happy, healthy new year to you and your family! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol! Your stopping by is much appreciated!

      Delete
  6. Stopping by from the Facebook Cuppa with Creatives. Enjoyed your blog! You've found a new meaning to retracing one's steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol! I'm so glad you stopped by! I hope to stop by everyone's blogs this next week.

      Delete
  7. Even though it is very easy to search for real estate listings on the internet, it is still in your best interest to hire an agent to work with you. The agent will be able to answer many questions that you may have, handle the paperwork and analyze data that you would have no idea needed to by analyzed.
    satta king
    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete
  8. The smell is a natural repellant for cats. This will stop your cat from thinking that the flower bed you love so much would be better if used as a litter box.
    satta king
    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete
  9. On the off chance that you overpower yourself with an excessive number of undertakings to finish, you may destroy yourself.
    play bazaar
    satta king
    satta king

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!