100 Day Project 2021

Thursday, January 18, 2018

The Beauty of January


Winter makes me happy. There's something about it's cold crisp air that makes me smile. The first day of January was a beautiful day with a gorgeous sunset. Just look at all that golden color! 


Even grey misty days brought magic. I only have to look for it.





This year we've had our share of freezing days. In central Arkansas our average January daytime temperature is in the low 50's. As you can tell by the ice on this small lake, it's been well below that. It's not easy going out when it's bitterly cold, but I go out everyday looking to see what's new. 


Today I found water dripping off the corner of the house, creating tiny ice sculptures around blades of grass. Yes, I know it's very weird, but the grass is still green in spots!


I went to check the small creek in the woods behind the house. It's swift moving water has kept it from freezing solid, but there is a thin layer of ice on top that makes fascinating patterns.



January has brought pretty days with blue skies, grey days with drizzle, cold days with sleet and ice, but the best day arrived on Tuesday! It snowed! It finally snowed! I didn't get to stand at the window with a mug of hot chocolate and watch the falling snow because it began about 9 p.m. and quit before morning, but there it was when I woke up and rushed to the window. It was a fine, powdery snow and the wind was gusting, so it didn't stick to many of the trees. 


There was no way I was straying inside even if it was only 13 degrees and the wind was really blowing. I put on plenty of layers, snow boots, and a toboggan and was ready to endure the elements! I wasn't the only one wearing a cap, so was this rock in the creek, only my cap was warmer than his.



There's so much to love about winter in Arkansas. I hope wherever you are, you're enjoying your winter whether your inside or out!

An hour of winter day might seem too short.
~ Robert Frost






8 comments:

  1. All the photos do indeed show the beauty of winter where you live but the first shot is stunning! How does your camera do in the very cold weather? We've had a steady diet of near zero and below wind chills for several days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such super photos Cathy. I really like the ones of the ice on the leaf and the grass. I like looking at the snow - just don't like having to drive in it - lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always delight in how people react when they aren't use to snow. 13 degrees is awful cold for Arkansas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful photographs you show here, Cathy. I love them all, but really find the second shot of the feather exquisite! The ice on the grass is beautiful. I love winter too although we haven't had very much snow! Like you, I dash out as soon as the snowflakes start to swirl around in the sky! I like how you found the heart shape under the frozen surface of the creek. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Such impressive photos! Really shows off the beauty in nature! I am usually in such a rush, I have missed these treasures! Awesome artwork - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What stunning winter photos, Cathy--you've really captured its beauty. I know you aren't used to the snow and ice like we are up north so I think you're noticing it's delicate beauty in a way we don't. We've become pretty jaded by this time in the winter :)

    Thank your for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love that feather! Your area looks pretty with a coating of snow - I'm glad the cold couldn't deter you from your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you dislike summer, so it's a joy to see you celebrate winter. Beautiful photos! And a snow day for a bonus, how wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!