100 Day Project 2021

Sunday, January 7, 2018

Scene & Story - December 2017


Sometime in the late 30's or early 40's my grandmother, Nanny, clipped a recipe out of the paper. Betty Crocker published a cake recipe and ran a contest to name it. Nanny never heard what they actually named the cake so she called it The Nameless Cake. She added candied fruit, white raisins and nuts to the recipe and it became the family's traditional fruitcake for the holidays. After Nanny died my mom took over the tradition of baking the cake even though she and I were the only ones that liked it. I always felt a special closeness to mom as we ate our pieces of cake together. After my mom died it seemed pointless to continue the tradition, since I was the only one that would eat it. I certainly couldn't eat the whole two-layer cake myself. 

I'm not sure why, call it nostalgia or the fact that I'm missing my mom, but this year I needed to bake the cake. I wanted it to turn out just like mom's, so I was a little nervous as I mixed the batter. After putting the cake in the oven, I stood back and smiled. The house began to smell of fruitcake and I was flooded with memories of past Christmases.

My daughter and daughter-in-law did eat some of the cake with me, but I don't think it's a favorite for them. Will I bake the cake again? Probably, but it won't be a family tradition as it was in the past. Things change, I accept that and we do have other desserts that are a holiday tradition . . . Fudgie Scotch Ring, Iced Sugar Cookies, and Candy Cane Cookies. 

My Nameless Cake turned out beautiful and tasted delicious, just like I remembered it. I'm glad I went with my heart's tug and made the cake this Christmas. As I said, I just needed to make it.

* * * * *

I'm linking with Scene & Story hosted

by Sarah and Lee.

This will be the last time that Sarah and Lee are hosting the linkup.
It's been a fun year sharing and reading stories.
I will miss this group.


8 comments:

  1. Look at you a food photographer too. Great minds think alike. Although I have never been a fan of fruit cake. My great-aunt Viola would make it every year, I think most of it got pitched after the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read your story I thought of my mom and her great love for fruit cake and my dislike of it. I can remember her and my grandmother, who couldn't get enough fruit cake, mixing and baking fruitcake for my uncles and aunts for Christmas. Even though I don't care for fruitcake it still has a special place in my memory alongside my grandma and mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Traditions change over the years, which I don't generally mind - I'm always open for new things. Sometimes, you have to follow your heart, though, and it's amazing the memories that scents can invoke! I'm glad you followed your heart and enjoyed your cake - your photo is beautiful. I'm not a huge fan of fruit cake, but yours looks like one I wouldn't mind giving a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely story of the "Nameless cake", Cathy! I'm so glad you made it. It honours both your Nanny's tradition and that your mother's.
    Yes, traditions change, even within a family, you have created your own which may be passed on. I think it's really nice that you baked this particular cake though - as it gave you a taste of your own childhood and that is such a lovely heart-warming feeling as we remember the loved ones who went before us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this story, Cathy! After almost 40 years, I still miss my mom especially at Christmas, and think of the hours we spent in the kitchen cooking and baking holiday meals and treats. Mom and I used to make fruitcake from scratch every year. I no longer do, because the recipe makes a vast quantity and I'm the only one who will eat it. And I no longer have the powerful stand mixer required to make the batter. I still crave fruitcake at Christmas, so I buy a small one somewhere, just for me. Thank you for sharing your memories and for being a part of Scene & Story over the past year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A super story Cathy. I found this Christmas brought a lot more memories for me about Christmases when I was young than other years have - strange how that goes. Glad you have such memories too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely post, Cathy... Isn't it amazing the powerful tug that food has on our heartstrings? For me, it's my grandmother's caramel custard and her molasses crinkles and her homemade caramels all of which I continue to make now and then--when I feel the need :) I'm glad your daughter and daughter-in-law shared some with you--I'm sure that made it even more special.

    Wishing you a wonderful new year--I look forward to more of your wonderful photography :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That photo looks yum! I would definitely have a piece with you. Sometimes memories call us back. I'm glad you baked your Nanny and Mom's cake.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!