100 Day Project 2021

Thursday, October 8, 2020

Hiking Resumed

 

I finally went on a hike, not just walking for exercise on a path, but on a real hike. It's been a year since I've gone hiking. First came extra care for my dad and his death, then a few minor health problems, then Covid 19, and then hot summer. I took advantage of the cooler weather that has arrived. Early one morning I went to Wildwood Park. A very peaceful place with very few people to encounter.


The trail I choose was called the "Upper 40." It's away from the lake out in the woods.


Wooden bridges have been built over several small streams that you must cross. I don't think I've ever seen any water this orange in color. I believe the orange color is caused by iron. I thought the orange made it look more like fall.


When I'm hiking I look for the unexpected, knowing there will always be something the gives me a little thrill when I'm out in nature. This time it was a painted rock sitting in a hollow log. I loved it! It reminded me of how many times I've had to RESET this year. I would get used to one thing and then another would come along and I'd have to reset my thinking!


I didn't take a lot of pictures on my walk. I mostly just walked, looked, breathed, and relaxed. When I finished the trail, it was lunch time so I headed to the Asian Woodland Garden with its stepping stone paths, plants from China, Korea, and Japan, and the Dodi Tea House which has the most beautiful etched windows.


I found a bench beside the Nabucco Waterfall in a beautiful rock grotto. 


It was a quiet and peaceful place to spend some time.

Autumn color has not really begun to arrive yet. Just a tree here or there has changed. There were a few bright spots though: mums and pumpkins near the entrance, Bugleweed, and a few Azaleas.


I wound up back by the lake on this lovely bench where I put my feet up and just rested. If you look across the lake you can see one lone red tree.


Of course, I can't go to Wildwood Park without taking a least one picture of the gazebo. The water was pretty smooth, so there was a nice reflection. I wish the skies had been a little bit prettier, but it was pretty dull. Oh well, there'll be another time to get the pretty skies!

5 comments:

  1. How lovely to go on a real hike, Cathy! You passed by so many lovely things and beautiful details that you noticed. How fun to find the painted stone with the word 'reset'. I enjoyed walking along the trail with you and I especially enjoyed the wet pebbles and the colourful collage with the lovely flowers and the pumpkins! The gazebo is beautiful! Enjoy your month of October!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so glad you were able to go out and hike and enjoy nature. This looks like a wonderful place to do that. I liked the rock and yes it has been a year to "reset" on a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so nice that you were able to get out again. Thank you for sharing your photos; they were are lovley but the oragne creek and the gazebo on at the end are extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like such a lovely place to hike, Cathy! I haven't gone on a hike either since the pandemic hit. Love the cute painted stone that you found with a perfect word for 2020! Hope you get out again soon--being in nature is so wonderful for the soul, isn't it? Enjoy this last bit of October ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!