100 Day Project 2021

Thursday, October 29, 2020

Destination: Shirley, Ar

I've spent a lot of time the last few months in my car. I love to drive and I love to explore. It's also a safe place to be during a pandemic. There's plenty of fresh air and no one in my space! Just me, my car, my camera, Arkansas road map, something to drink, and a snack or two. This day's exploring took me to Shirley, Arkansas, population around 300. 



I follow several Arkansas bloggers and photographers not only for their beautiful photos, but also to find interesting and little know places to explore. When I read about this old railroad bridge in Shirley that crosses the Little Red River, I knew I had to find it. The unique thing about this railroad bridge is that is was converted in 1978 to a one-lane car bridge. How many of you can say that you've driven a car across a train bridge? That was certainly a new experience for me. If you notice in the picture above, I did check out the weight limit!


I will admit, driving across the bridge was the scariest thing I've done in a long time. The bridge rating is poor and it does look a little rickety, but I just had to cross it! My heart was beating a little fast as I inched forward, making sure I would even fit. There was room, but not a whole lot. My Yukon is about 6.5' wide, the bridge was 8.2' wide. About a foot on each side; not much wobble room! I stopped for a moment in the middle of the bridge so I could look at the river. Definitely no looking while driving!


Here's a little information about the bridge. The Wisconsin Bridge & Iron Co. was hired by Missouri and North Arkansas Railroad to build a bridge over the Little Red River in 1908. At that time Shirley wasn't even a town, just a settlement that had a booming log business. In 1949, due to strikes from the railroad workers the trains stopped running. In 1978 the bridge was converted to a vehicle bridge. The length of the bridge is 339.8 feet and as soon as you get to the other side there's a sign that says "public road ends." Thankfully, there is a big place to turn around!



I parked the car and walked a few feet onto the bridge. I didn't go very far; I was afraid of being caught in the middle when a car came by. Of course, I never saw a car, only a four-wheeler, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. In the picture above you can see one of the concrete pillars and a few of the railroad ties that are still there.




A view of the Little Red River.



Shirley has one downtown business street, a lovely park by the river, and a church. I love old stone buildings with tin roofs. They are a reminder of days gone by.



Just in case you want to move to Shirley and open a business, here's an great option! Notice tll the cut pieces of wood used as decorations and isn't it a lovely color.



I came pretty close to trading my vehicle which is across the street for this truck. I thought my grandsons would love seeing Gramma driving around town in it. But I decided it probably didn't get good gas mileage and was a little too long for parking!



There were a couple of business that sold antiques and repurposed items, such as this bench. The back is the tailgate from an old truck. The stores weren't open yet. I was too early. It would be fun to explore them sometime.


I hope you enjoyed my adventure exploring the small town of Shirley in the Ozark Mountains. Not only, was the experience unique, but the trip driving curvy country roads was beautiful. I hope to be back soon with another adventure.



10 comments:

  1. An interesting post Cathy ans some lovely photos. I like the first photo best although it does need the rest to make the story complete. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite pictures of bridges are their reflections in the water. There was a walking trail that led down to the river where I took this picture.

      Delete
  2. Your are always finding neat places to go. Keep the photo trips coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gives me something to do! I look forward to the days we can explore together again!

      Delete
  3. Such fun! And brave to drive across it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun day and it did take a little courage.

      Delete
  4. What an exciting outing! New things to see and narrow bridges to cross (with no protection either side). A bit scary! Your grandsons would have loved to see you driving that truck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My oldest grandson, Jake (18) thought I's look good in that old truck. I have no idea what it is supposed to be. It was sitting in front of the repurposed store. I guess it was just a creative use of junk!

      Delete
  5. I remember crossing one lane bridges when we visited New Zealand many years ago. The signs at either end said, "give way" - which we did. A fantastic adventure and great photos of the small town of Shirley. I wonder if the town is named for an early settler?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always so enjoyable to visit and see your photos, Cathy! I have never been to Arkansas, but it looks so pretty. Now driving my car across that bridge would terrify me--you are one brave woman :) Glad you didn't run into anyone coming the other way. Hope your November is filled with more nice drives and good photo opportunities! Take good care now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!