100 Day Project 2021

Monday, February 19, 2018

Awake, Thou Wintry Earth


I'm going to say something that is going to shock you! I have not enjoyed this winter!!  Most of you know how much I love winter. I love the snow and the cold. This year we haven't really had a winter. What we had was cloudy skies and rain and cloudy skies and rain and repeat, repeat, repeat!!


Every thing is soggy! The only way I can walk in the woods and down my favorite path is with waterproof boots! 


Even though the days are dark and gloomy, beauty can be found. Tiny drops of water hang like diamonds in twisted vines. 


Mushrooms are beginning to work their way through the soft grown trying to find some sunshine I'm sure!


Winter has been so mild that many leaves never turned completely brown.


Officially spring has not arrived, but I'm seeing signs of it everywhere. Last year I bought a Lenten Rose, (Hellebore) to add to my garden. It quickly became one of my favorite plants. Not knowing a lot about it, I panicked when I saw it beginning to bloom a few weeks ago. I was so afraid a cold snap would ruin it. I was wrong. It was blooming right on time. Lenten Roses are one of the earliest flowers to bloom, usually around Lent which started on February 14.


And my jonquils are starting to bloom. Although I'm not ready for it, I think I need to start convincing myself that winter is over. It will be in the 70's today and Wednesday closer to 80. Spring is no longer hiding, it's shouting "ready or nor here I come!"

"Awake, thou wintry earth -
Fling off they sadness!
Fair vernal flowers, laugh forth
Your ancient gladness!"
~Thomas Blackburn


7 comments:

  1. What beautiful shots, Cathy, and starting off with your puddle reflection right at the top! Love it! The third shot down of that sparkling water drop in a twisted vine is just gorgeous! How lovely to have hellebore in your garden. I love the colour of the bud, and it bloomed right on time too for the beginning of Lent!
    This has been a strange winter here too. January was too mild and our cold snap (though not that cold in the end) is continuing now. Have a peaceful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, I am so with you...This has not been the best winter for me either. Last week, while staying with my daughter, crabapple trees where blooming during our one day of sunshine and oh how my spirit soared. Your captures are beautiful and remind us that beauty is all around whatever the weather. I hope you have a great day....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately - I'm going to agree with you on winter, too. Definitely not my best. I do like the way you are finding beauty in it, though! Your shot show that no matter what you're hoping, the unexpected can be just as wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh. I can't imagine it being that warm already. We are at 43 degrees today and that is unusual this time of year, and especially this winter. It has been cold and snowy. But I am so ready for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these are such lovely photos, Cathy, with interest, beauty, colour and new life. My world is pretty much white with the green of the cedars and firs and temperatures between 0 and 15 F. I am eagerly looking forward to spring

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would rather have a real winter with snow that that in-between stuff, too, Cathy! But, your photos portray that there is beauty in every season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unrelenting grey skies and rain can bring anyone down, but I love the way you find beauty anyway. That drop of water in the twisted vine is exquisite. If winter is over, you can rejoice in the spring. I suspect ours will be early this year, too, though even so it is still weeks away. Flowering bulbs have not even begun to poke their leaves through the soil yet. But it's coming!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!