100 Day Project 2021

Sunday, February 7, 2021

Soothing Hymns


I love to play the piano! I play hymns every day as part of my morning worship. Right now I'm playing through a songbook entitled Then Sings My Soul - 150 of the World's Greatest Hymn Stores.  Robert J. Morgan, the author of the book, entitled his opening words The Cure For Shot Nerves! He is absolutely correct. Hymns can cure many things including shot nerves.



On one side of the page is the hymn and on the opposite page is the history of the hymn and it's composer. The reading of these stories has been fascinating. When I read about the persecution some of these authors went through as they composed the hymns, I realize that my complaints are so very, very insignificant.


At my church we sing all the verses of the hymns. I wonder though if you know that all the verses are not printed in our hymnals. For instance the song All Glory, Laud, and Honor has 78 verses! This hymn was written in A.D 820 by Theodulph a bishop of Orleans, a city south of Paris. I'm guessing their worship time lasted much longer than ours! I wonder how many church goers would sit still for that!!


Old hymns are the ones that pop into my mind. . . 

  • when I'm needing assurance (Blessed Assurance written by Fanny J. Crosby in 1873)
  • when I'm awed by nature (All Creatures of Our God and King written by St. Francis of Assisi in 1225)
  • when I needed guidance (He Leadeth Me written by Joseph H. Gilmore 1862)
  • when I need comfort (There is a Balm in Gilead a spiritual written about 1800)

And who does not love Amazing Grace written by John Newton in 1779. I could go on and on about how hymns help me through many situations, but I think you get my meaning.

Oak Hill Missionary Baptist Church
The church of my childhood where I was saved.


Old hymns pop up in my mind when I think of my childhood. Hymns like Shall We Gather at the River written by Robert Lowry in 1864. I grew up in a time when we actually did gather at the creek for baptisms. I remember when my sister and I were baptized, which happened to be in the winter months. Our dad who was our pastor made arrangements for us to be baptized in a church with an indoor baptistry. Sounds great! No, it wasn't. Someone forgot to add the hot water and it was cold. Not as cold as a creek, but cold none the less! 

My dad baptizing in the creek


I even remember being a tiny tot singing with my classmates on Sunday morning. I mostly remember I didn't like being up there singing! Yes, that's me, wiping my eyes and hurrying back to sit with my mommy! My sister is the fourth girl from the right.


I remember my aunt playing the piano at church and my mom singing solos. Both my aunt and my mom were taught to read music using shape-notes. In shape-note music the note heads are printed in distinct shapes to indicate their scale degree. Since 1801 shape notes have been associated with American music, especially in the south.



I'll end with one last song Near to the Heart of God written by Cleland B. McAfee in 1903. This is what playing and singing hymns does for me. It keeps me near to the heart of God.


There is a place of quiet rest,
Near to the heart of God:
A place where sin cannot molest,
Near to the heart of God.

There is a place of comfort sweet,
Near to the heart of God;
A place where we our Savior meet,
Near to the heart of God.

There is a place of full release, 
Near to the heart of God;
A place where all is joy and peace,
Near to the Heart of God.

O Jesus, blest Redeemer, 
Sent from the heart of God,
Hold us who wait before Thee,
Near to the heart of God.

* * * * *

Do you have a favorite hymn?

I'd love to hear what it is!

12 comments:

  1. Such a perfect blog post to read on this sunny Sunday morning, Cathy! I love the idea of you playing hymns on your piano every morning. To me, the hymns were always a highlight of our church services. Not sure I would want to sing 78 verses of that one hymn, though :) I think my favorite hymn is "How Great Thou Art," but "Amazing Grace" is right up near the top, too... Thank you for sharing the old photos and some of your family history today--really enjoyed your reminiscences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol! I've changed the tone of my blog. I've felt like I want it to be more personal and not just all about photography, although photography will still be a big part of it! I asked what everyone's favorite hymn was and to be honest I can't decide which is my favorite! I just love so many!

      Delete
  2. How lovely to have a hymn book with the history of the hymn and its composer. I love the photo of you and your sister when you were little!
    My favourite hymn is 'The Lord's My Shepherd'.
    Wishing you a beautiful week ahead, Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have enjoyed the hymn book. I also have another one by the same author. It will take me about a year to play through both of them. "The Lord's My Shepherd" is such a comforting hymn and right now we all need comfort!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely post, Cathy. I sang in church choirs for many years. One of my favorite hymns is "I'll Meet You in the Morning." I have a recording of it sung by a dear friend with a stunning, rich voice, and it brings tears to my eyes whenever I listen to it. But I think the one I always loved to sing the most is "How Great Thou Art."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sang in the church choir for many years and then was asked to play the piano during the services. I like playing better than singing. At one time I played the organ a little, but haven't played one in years! Don't you just love the older gospel hymns. I know praise choruses are popular right now, but I'd rather sing a hymn.

      Delete
  4. Cathy - This post really resonates with me. I was the pianist for my home church growing up and then for the large church of my adulthood. I loved playing the hymns and gospel songs as they are a form of worship. Like you, they are a part of my every day. I don't know which I prefer...playing or singing...so I do both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also the pianist at our church for many years. I played until my children were born and then I sat with them during the services. I love all hymns, but there is just something special about a gospel hymn! Part of it is the memories they bring back!

      Delete
  5. A nice reminder of my youth Cathy. We all sang in the junior choir when I was growing up and although I wasn't too happy about it in my teens I still remember so many of the songs. So many of the tunes seem to have changed as they spice the music up to try and entice younger people to the church - sda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about the change in music. Although praise songs have their place, it seems that hymns have been forgotten. That is very sad! I sang in a girl's ensemble at church. Our mom's even made us matching dresses to wear when we sang! Oh, such wonderful memories!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!