100 Day Project 2021

Friday, January 29, 2021

The Stone Saga



Okay! The stone above is not the stone in my Stone Saga, but I had to have an opening picture and this feels like the size of the stone in my saga! I'm referring to my kidney stone that just won't go away! My first lithotripsy procedure didn't work, so I'll be having another one done or a laser procedure. I'm not looking forward to either one of them.

I'm trying to make the best of things, but sometimes it's hard. I'm still uncomfortable and sometimes on drugs so my activities are limited and I'm missing my adventures so very much. I am not a person who can sit around. I need to be outside exploring or doing something with my hands. I've had a few pretty rough mental days. I've cried a few tears, had pity parties, and whined to my family.  I keep telling myself to "just get over it" and do something . . . anything! So here's what I've been doing.

I finally got my Christmas tree down! I love my tree, I really do, but I was so ready for it to come down before I had to start dusting the ornaments! As I took my ornaments off the tree I counted the ones I had cross stitched over the years. There were a total of seventy-nine. The newest stitched piece is a snowman designed by Jim Shores. It's the third one up from the far left corner. 



I've been working on puzzles, especially at night while Jerry watches TV. I usually start a Christmas puzzle the week after Christmas when it's slow and quiet. This one was a little challenging to my foggy brain, but I got it done. In case you are tired of anything to do with Christmas 2020, I promise this is my last picture of the Covid Christmas era!



I've been reading a lot beginning first thing in the morning with my Bible reading. I am reading the Bible chronologically this year using the New Living Testament translation which reads more like a story. There is a group of ladies at church that are all reading the same plan. I love the fact that someone else is reading what I'm reading each day.



My other reading includes books I have on hand or books on my Kindle. If the sun is shining I take my reading outside regardless of the temperature. I read sitting in the sun which helps my mood. I noticed the reflection of my bookmark on the page. Thought that was kind of cool. Yes, I'm desperate to take pictures of something!!



To keep my hands busy and creative I've started a collage book or as some call it a junk book or glue book. I've always collected bits and pieces of papers, pictures, words, postage stamps and such. These bits and pieces are know as ephemera. Ephemera is defined as objects often printed that are not intended to last but are sometimes kept by collectors. I've finally found a purpose for my collection! I found an online site that focuses on vintage collages. The host gives a weekly list of items to find or sometimes a theme to use when creating the collage. There are no set rules. You can follow her suggestions or create whatever you want. It's all about creating. Then we share our collages in a Facebook group. One thing I like to add to my collages is postage stamps. Some of my first ones don't have a stamp, but all my later ones do. I love postage stamps and have hundreds of them, so I wanted to start including them. My pages are small, 7 3/4 inches by 5 1/2 inches which is a perfect size for me as they're not overwhelming. I'll share five of my collages and the suggestions we were given. So far I've done nineteen.

Collage #1 - Typography (use different types of fonts)




Collage #2 - Something Sewing

The pieces in this collage have special meaning. The background pattern envelope, the pattern pieces, and the little girl were taken from a dress pattern my mom used to make me a dress somewhere around 1955.



Collage #3 - Let's Go Out To Eat

This collage represents the wonderful times my sister, sister-in-law, and I had when we were free to meet for lunch each month. Oh, how I miss that!! 


Collage #4 - This collage is an example of using a list of items. They were: glass (the jars), something edible (candy), a repeating pattern in a round shape (paper strip with dots), uppercase font (Joyful), a doodle border (down the right side) and the Bonus: graph paper (feather drawn on graph paper)



Collage #5 - Ocean or sea (picture upper left), something in a foreign language (names on the map), a piece of folded paper (envelope from Greece lower left corner), something you are thankful for (I am so grateful that I've had the opportunity of many joyful journeys), sticker from fruit (banana sticker upper right), and bonus: random piece of washi tape (tape with cameras on it)




I'm really enjoying creating these pages which helps me forget about the pandemic and the stones! If you might be interested collage making here's the link to Margarete Miller's website

That's enough for today. If you've stuck with me till the end, I thank you so much! 


9 comments:

  1. You have found some super ways to stay sane Cathy. I enjoyed seeing your collagaes although it is not something I will ever do - just not my thing - lol. I hope you get your'stone' problem fixed soon and with no extra pain. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You paint so beautifully which I can't do, so I'll just cut and past!

      Delete
  2. Wow! That's a huge number of cross-stitch ornaments. They all look wonderful and I love the snowman! Well you have certainly found lovely and interesting occupations to do to take your mind of that kidney stone. I do hope the second treatment will work. Beautiful photo of the big stone at the top! Lovely to read outside too in the sunshine! Take care, Cathy and I hope to hear good news from you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra! I'd much rather be exploring in nature than be inside, but I am enjoying the collage pages.

      Delete
  3. Oh, Cathy, that kidney stone sounds horrible. I can't imagine that type of pain! Two of my brother-in-laws and nephew suffer from them terribly, too. I hope the next treatment gets the job done. Your collage art is lovely! I've always admired that art form, but really don't have the type of things to create it. So, thank you for sharing yours. Of course, my favorite sight was that incredible spread of Christmas ornaments! So much time and love has gone into creating each one (I know!). I left my tree up longer than normal this year, too--finally took it down last weekend :)

    Take care now and I hope your kidney stone issues get resolved very soon ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol! I just took my tree down last week, too! I enjoyed it so much this year, but decided if I didn't want to start dusting the ornaments I'd better take it down! So glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  4. Wow oh wow...love the ornaments. I end up giving away most of my crosstitch has gifts but have managed to keep a few things. I love ornaments but struggle with how to finish them up (we call them "fuppies"). I also love papercrafting with my memory keeping and may join your collage group. And I should collect stamps as you do. Much to inspire me with in this post, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise! We seem to have a lot in common! Finishing is always the hardest part for me. I'm too much of a perfection and want those edges sharp and those seams straight. Of course, crooked seams never show when it's hung on the tree! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. You do so many wonderful creative things! I so admire all your stitched Christmas ornaments, and what a treasure they are. And I love your beautiful collage pages. "Junk Book" is a completely unworthy name for such a lovely collection of work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!