100 Day Project 2021

Monday, January 21, 2019

Frosty Morning


Most people don't like cold weather, but I absolutely love it! I love to wear hiking boots, thick socks, a heavy jacket, gloves, and a knit cap. I love the nip in the fresh air, frozen water, and early morning frost. But, most of all I love the beautiful phenomenons of nature that cold weather brings.


When traveling through the Ozarks recently my instincts screamed at me to pull over at an overlook area. I've stopped here many times and taken pictures of the White River running through the valley below and the bridges that cross it. On this particular morning the scene below me left me a little breathless. The cold morning plus the warm water of the river created a beautiful mist that hovered over the water.


I drove down to the river and walked along the bank where rocks and leaves were covered with frost. The mist hovering above the water and the heavy frost glistened in the sunshine.




The blowing wind sent the mist over grasses and trees on the far bank covering them with ice.




Although the mist and river were beautiful, the highlight of the morning was what I discovered on the far bank in the grasses. I saw these little icy creations. They were frost flowers! I've seen pictures of frost flowers, but these were the first I've spotted. Frost flowers are beautiful and fascinating.


Seeing this phenomenon of nature is rare. Circumstances must be just right for frost flowers to form. The weather conditions must be freezing, but the ground not frozen. The best time to see them is on early winter mornings after a warm spell and then a drop in temperatures. They are hard to discover as their thin layers melt very quickly as the sun and temperatures rise.


As the temperature drops to freezing the stems of plants expand, causing the outer layer to split. As water is drawn up the plant's stem and reaches the split, it slowly oozes out and freezes. The seeping water creates patterns which curl and fold into gorgeous flowers. The scientific name of frost flowers is crystallofolia. They've been called nature's exquisite ice extrusions, frost castles, ice castles, and ice blossoms.


If I hadn't have stopped at the overlook, seen the mist, took time to drive down to the river, and walk to the far banks, I wouldn't have seen these amazing frost flowers. I continually remind myself that finding unusual things means I have to get out, wander, and follow my instincts. When I do, I usually discover beauty and beauty brings me joy!


"The camera,
when held with wonderment,
opens us to the magic of discovery."
~ Patricia Turner



6 comments:

  1. Wow! Thank you so much for sharing your photo adventures Cathy. The frost flowers are fabulous and I really like the photo with the bright red leaf on the river bank - the sun shine really makes it pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and your kind comment! The red leaf is one of my favorites, too. It just looked like it was begging to have it's picture made!

      Delete
  2. Cathy, I've never seen frost flowers - gorgeous! Did you know what you were looking at when you saw them? I'm glad for your explanation. I also love the first photo of the trail through frost. Enjoy the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind comments! I did know what they were and I was beyond thrilled to see them! I walked on down by the river after I took these pictures and when I came back a few minutes later, they were melted. I was so blessed to see them!

      Delete
  3. Wow! I had never heard of frost flowers before--they are stunning! Your photos really give winter a glorious look, Cathy (but, I still don't like winter--it is just too, too cold up this way (was only 3°this morning!!).

    Hope you have a lovely week ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful frost flowers and lovely wintry shots of frost and ice and beautiful leaves! Like you, I just love these colder months of the year! I do love spring too of course, before the temperatures start rising!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!