100 Day Project 2021

Saturday, March 10, 2018

The Unexpected



Spring arrived unexpectedly this year. I kept waiting for more cold weather and even a little snow, but the signs were there and more winter wasn't going to happen. Reality set in when I spotted this beautiful little finch hopping around on the ground. It was a bittersweet sight. It was time to began looking for spring, even though I knew I would miss winter.


The sweet little bird wasn't the only sign of spring I saw. The dandelions are blooming! As you may have read in my last post, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. The day before my surgery, which was last week, I took one last walk in the woods behind my house. The pathway from our property into the woods is rather steep and slippery, so I knew it would be a while before I could be in the woods again.


I didn't have to walk very far to know the spiders were out of hibernation. They must have awaken very hungry, because their webs were everywhere!! Ugh!! I hate spider webs! Yes, they are amazingly intricate and fascinating, but I hate to feel them on my skin!


It's also been warm and, of course, wet enough for the mushrooms to begin sprouting. This one and it's little baby were growing out of a dead tree trunk. Don't you think the little guy must feel loved and protected?



As I wandering further into the woods looking for more signs of spring I reached the sandy banks of the creek where tiny red maple blooms were scattered about. Red maples are one of the first trees to bloom as winter fades.


I had to be careful where I stepped or I might have stepped on the tiniest of spring wildflowers, Claytonia Verginica, commonly known as Spring Beauty of Fairy Spud. Each tiny little flower is only about 1/4" to 1/2". Their blooms hang down, but as they open they lift themselves to the sun. 


My last day to be out and about ended with a gorgeous, patriotic sunset!

"Can words describe the
fragrance of the very breath of spring?"
~ Neltje Blanchan

*  *  *  *  *


Side Notes:

  • I have added February's weekly photos to my 52 Weeks of Nature page.
  • My surgery went well and I am slowly recuperating. I am cancer free! I am a SURVIVOR!

12 comments:

  1. You are a SURVIVOR! What a wonderful phrase, Cathy! I bet that feels good to sing loud and clear! Beautiful captures of where you live, as spring makes itself felt. The yellow finch is lovely and so is the dandelion! I'm always so happy to see the colour yellow at this time of the year! Such a sweet baby toadstool and other lovely signs of the changing season! May the energy of spring re-energize your body and spirit. Remember to rest too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, I am so glad you are doing well and cancer free. Yes, you are a survivor and I will continue to pray for your speedy recovery. I love see all the signs of spring your way...finches always get me excited because I know warmer weather is on its way. Please take care of yourself..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that your surgery went well and you are a survivor! I love your images of Spring, which also reflects natures will to survive. It's definitely still winter, here, but now and then I see signs of warmer days ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessings to you and prayers for good health!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on a successful surgery and being cancer free! These are such lovely photos and I envy your early spring - we still have over a foot of snow every where - sigh. Although we do have a few turkeys and raccoons wandering through the yard, I haven't seen any "spring' birds yet. Take care and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will be walking in those woods again in no time. Nothing will keep you down for long. Cancer was just one little bump in your amazing life. I have such a hard time imagining dandelions when we are still waiting on our daffodils.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a surprise this early spring. Love the Finch and your blog heading. I am so glad you got out and enjoying the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been thinking about you, Cathy and am so relieved that your surgery went well! What wonderful news and I'm sure you feel like a huge burden has been lifted from your shoulders... Enjoy your spring in all its glory--we are a long way from spring up north, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very glad to know the surgery is now behind you. Spring really is coming to your neck of the woods. Dandelions! I"d say you're four months ahead of us. Thank you for always showing us beautiful things and now rest easy in the days. You'll be charging into the woods before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad you had such a lovely outing, finding many signs of spring and beauty.
    I am sorry to hear of your cancer and surgery. I send you healing light and wish the very best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know you love winter, but I loved seeing the signs of your early spring. Here? So far, nothing; in fact we had more snow this week. I know it will come in its own good time! I'm so glad the surgery went well, and I am continuing to pray for a perfect recovery so you can hike in your woods again. You are indeed a SURVIVOR, my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trik Menang Bermain Situs Judi Sabung Ayam Online Yang Jarang Diketahui Klik Di Sini

    Informasi Terlengkap Mengenai Sabung Ayam
    https://bvsateayam.blogspot.com/2018/12/sejumlah-style-taji-untuk-ayam-aduan.html/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!