100 Day Project 2021

Monday, December 11, 2017

Pioneer Christmas


As I sit in my warm, snug home gazing at my Christmas tree with over a thousand multi-colored lights and ornaments galore, I'm wishing. Wishing that Christmas could be a simpler time. A time where Christmas really meant something. When Christmas meant the celebration of the birth of Christ. Don't get me wrong. Santa is loved at my house, always has been. I'm talking about the hustle, the over spending, the craziness of a commercialized Christmas.



I was reminded of a simpler Christmas recently when I attended a Christmas celebration at an 1880's pioneer village. I thought back to when Christmas meant a fresh cut tree, ornaments made from paper, and strung popcorn for garland.


I was reminded of when gifts were made and given from the heart; maybe a whistle or toy animal carved by father or maybe it was a handmade muslin doll or knitted mittens from mother. A time when a simple apple or orange was a rare treat.


I was reminded when decorations were simple.



I was reminded when love was the center of the home and love was the center of Christmas. 


Do I want long for those days of yesteryear? Absolutely not! I do admire the courage of those pioneers who struggled to make a home in a new land far from friends and family. I'm not sure I would have been able to do that. No, I don't long to return to those days. You see, I enjoy my modern comforts. What I do long for is a simple, quiet Christmas. That's my goal this year and so far it's working. I'm enjoying this season. I've also enjoy sampling Christmas treats. At the village we had sugar cookies and apple cider. They were delicious!



I had to laugh when I uploaded my pictures of these wonderful volunteers who dressed in period costumes and played the roll of pioneers. Check out the pocket of the man in the center. Could that be a red cell phone peeking out? Can't get away from modernism, can we? 

How is your Christmas season? I hope it is one of quietness, peace, and celebration of the birth of Christ.


8 comments:

  1. It looks like the pioneer village did a great job of showing how Christmas used to be done but like you I will stick to today. We don't go over-board at Christmas, simple decorations, good food and lots of music to share with family. Best wishes to you and your family Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't given up presents all together, but we do focus more on giving experiences to be enjoyed together than presents. I couldn't go back without the modern things like bathrooms, electricity, etc. but there are days when I could give up my cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m not sure I could have been a pioneer- but I do understand the desire for more simplicity. We hustle and bustle way too much! We started simplifying Christmas in my family a couple of years ago. So much less stress and much more fun! Now it’s really just a time to get together and enjoy a wonderful meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your photos of the simpler, quieter Christmas time, Cathy... I seem to decorate less each year and just try to enjoy the spirit of the holiday. This year my mom is not doing well and I am driving the five hours back and forth to New York so not much is getting done--and that's okay :) I'd rather be there for her...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all you have shown here and the simplicity of Christmas as it was celebrated many years ago. I too yearn for more simplicity at this time of the year. I refuse to get caught up in the stress and madness of this time of the year. Like you, I seek peace and harmony above all else. I really enjoyed all the scenes of a Pioneer Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a great time going with you. It was a lot of fun. I liked decorating my sugar cookie and the cider was just right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This strikes a chord in me, Cathy. I don't want to give up my modern conveniences, either, but I do long for not just a simpler Christmas but a simpler life, with fewer "things." I love these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful photos.
    I also wish it was simpler.
    For the most part it is simpler for me. But I wish that the shopping was not part of it, except for a treasure for children.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!