100 Day Project 2021

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Celebrate!


The month of June brings a day of celebration for me. It’s the month of my birth. Before my birthday, which has now passed, I began thinking about how I wanted to celebrate. A friend of mine, Sandra, recently wrote about her birthday celebration on her blog Reflections and Nature. I know she’d love for you to stop by and read about her day and see a little of the beauty of Switzerland. That got me to thinking about my upcoming birthday.


I spend most of my birthdays alone. Now, before you get sad about that, understand that I enjoy being alone. I enjoy being by myself on my birthday, at least during the day. Jerry is home for dinner and the evening. My birthday began with breakfast which I ate outside. I read a while, but then got the urge to go somewhere. I think I was influenced by Sandra’s scenic walk!


I gathered a book, a couple of magazines, my camera, and my binoculars; then headed to a park near the Arkansas River. Oh, and I stopped by and got my favorite lunch; fried chicken strips, tator tots, and a biscuit. Not healthy, but it was my birthday and I was celebrating!


I had a wonderful afternoon, listening to the river rushing by! We’ve had a lot of rain recently and the river was high and fast. I saw a red-winged blackbird, ducks, a blue heron, and various other more common birds. They kept up a constant chorus around me mixed with the chattering of squirrels and the laughter of children. I couldn’t have asked for a better day. It is a tradition that we go out to eat to celebrate birthdays. On Sunday Jerry and I enjoyed a wonderful Mexican meal with our son and his family.

I was wondering how you celebrate your birthday? Do you make plans or have traditions or are you open to spontaneity? 

13 comments:

  1. first - happy birthday, i think (KFC??) for a birthday lunch is perfect!! i too, like being alone, but i would not enjoy that for my birthday, but that's just me. i did enjoy how you described your day, that sounds like a really nice day, your pictures are beautiful!!

    we always do something special on my birthday. something different each year...a day trip or maybe a one night stay over. last year we went to niagara falls for 5 or so days and it was an amazing trip. my first time zip lining!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos indeed, and hope you had a joyful celebration. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful scenic walk you did on your birthday, Cathy! I love that first shot along the river with the yellow flowers in the foreground!I like how that fencing leads us forward into the walk with you! Sweet little pink flowers you captured too! I'm so touched that you mentioned my own birthday celebration that I wrote about on my blog! Thank you!

    You had such a beautiful day, just the way you like things! Eating out is a perfect way to celebrate your birthday and even better when other family members can also be present!

    As you know, I love celebrating my birthday by having breakfast out! Preferably on an outside terrace down by the lake! A long walk in nature is also one of my priorities, but I remain open to spontaneous activities, as long as they include a leisurely breakfast out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy time alone - and your birthday sounds wonderful! birthdays for me are pretty much normal days - especially if they fall on a work day. My husband usually takes me out or cooks something special, and I may get together with the kids over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy, your birthday celebration sounds wonderful. There are holidays I enjoy in similar (solitary, outdoor) fashion, but since my birthday is in December and close to Christmas, it is usually pretty low key and definitely indoors! Traditionally, the birthday celebrant got to choose what they wanted for dinner and the kind of birthday cake they wanted. My choice since I was about ten was always pizza and cheesecake! The pizza was homemade and the cheesecake was Sara Lee's. These days we go out, and it's not always for pizza. And for the past few years it's been impossible to find Sara Lee cheesecake in any store. You would think I'd get over it, but it's always a disappointment not to be able to fulfill that one little craving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely way to celebrate Cathy and lovely photos to remember it all by - belated Happy Birthday wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a lovely birthday. Fun that you were inspired by Sandra.
    I enjoy doing something in nature on my birthday, but the weather does not always support that. I agree, evening meal with loved ones is nice and special. Every year is different.

    I wish you a lovely new year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get the idea about enjoying the day alone. Mine is coming up on Monday - I am getting a massage at 9 a.m. that seems like a good way to start the day. We will go out for supper at night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to take my birthday as it comes, and every year it's different. We usually take a long road trip in September (my birth month), so we could be anywhere on my special day. Sometimes we're on the road and discovering some place new, sometimes we're with family, sometimes we're able to go back to a favorite place. However it comes, I'm happy to embrace the day and enjoy it to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am another who loves being alone so I can totally understand your feelings, Cathy! It sound slike a delightful birthday in every way :) If you can be happy with your own company, I think that is very special. Too many are always seeking happiness externally from "things" and other people and it really has to come from within oneself :)

    Happy Birthday (a bit late!)...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well Happy (albeit - Belated) Birthday! - Sounds like you had a really lovely and pleasant day. - Anymore I just like to spend my birthday doing pretty much what I want & no huge family celebration. I do like a little cake/ice cream & of course presents but no big hoopla.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Arkansas river is beautiful.
    Never had breakfast outside, must try it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i appreciate your continued visits and comments. it's always so nice to see your name in my inbox!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!