100 Day Project 2021

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Be Still 52 - Week 43

In celebration of spring this week's exercise was pastels. I enjoy the softness of pastels, but I like brighter colors, so I had a hard time coming up with props and ideas. 


While thinking of pastels, I remembered that I have several of my grandmother's handkerchiefs which are soft pastel colors. It's sad we don't carry beautiful handkerchiefs in our pocketbooks anymore. We are missing out on such a pretty accessory. One St. Patrick's Day when I was six, my mother tucked a green handkerchief in the waistband of my skirt so I wouldn't get pinched for not wearing green. Anyway, my grandmother had such lovely feminine handkerchiefs and I'm so thankful I have a few.


One thing I have noticed about my still life photos is that like in nature, I want to get in close and see all the details; the textures of the bunnies and the edge of the hankie. I take pictures that give "room to breath," but I almost always choose the close up. I guess that's just part of my style.

I hope you're having a lovely spring!

beyondlayers

11 comments:

  1. How sweet that you have your grandmother's hankies! I love that you have so many lovely things that reflect your own personal and family history. They are so pretty - and little bunnies with their flowers that match the handkerchiefs are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty, dainty handkerchief. Yes, I thought that pretty hankies were a nice accessory too, though I'm glad we have tissues now for when we need to actually use them! Love your cute bunnies with the flowery design! We have been doing pastels this last week too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done so well keeping up with this class. I'm a complete fizzle. Like you, bolder colors call to me much more than pastels. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful use of that gorgeous hankie. I love having some that were my grandmothers too. I keep them in a plastic bag, and somehow can still smell her scent when i open the bag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. such pretty images for spring!!! i love the lavender!!!! i like all the colors in the crayola box!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the shot with the bunnies and the hankies are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love pastels so much. And your subjects are so cute.
    Have a fantastic weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can remember my mother washing and ironing handkerchiefs and although I think they are beautiful I am glad I do not have to do that! Beautiful images Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully soft and a wonderful tribute to pastels. I remember the days of carrying a neatly-pressed hankie. Although I never liked actually using it for its intended purpose :) You have been so very creative throughout this course and I am so very impressed with your inventive and lovely still lifes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So great that you have your grandmothers handkerchiefs, I only have a couple but I don't know who they belonged to. :) A lovely tribute in pastels.



    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!