100 Day Project 2021

Friday, September 5, 2014

Friday Finds



Way back in the old days, this was the type of school box I had. The smell of cigars mingled with smell of erasers and crayons. It's not the most pleasant smell, but I've smelled far worse! 

I remember how much I loved looking through my school box with the shiny new scissors, the green and yellow box of perfect crayons,  and the unsharpened #2 yellow pencils. But, by the end of the year my box looked much like the one above; messy crayons their box long torn up, tarnished scissors, and well used erasers. Of course I always had a few toys tucked in, maybe marbles, but most likely jacks. I loved to play jacks. I'm keeping my eye for a set of metal jacks, I want to play again.

The prompt this week for one of the groups that I share photos with is "school daze." As I thought about school supplies and school boxes, I remembered the old cigar boxes that I carried to school. No one in our family smoked cigars, but somehow my Papa Culps always managed to find us some. I had to look quite a while before I FOUND this one hidden in the back of a drawer. I may just have to keep it out now.

fridayfindsbutton

9 comments:

  1. i absolutely love this cathy! to this day the smell of new school supplies makes me feel like i'm fourth grade all over again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how fabulous! I'm so glad you didn't give up looking for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny. I almost bought Jakes today. I wanted to play with one of my grand kids. You have such a good memory and you have saved such memories. I wish I had,

    ReplyDelete
  4. sweet memories - I love the smell of crayons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the edit Cathy, like Cathy I also love the smell of crayons, is that weird? Sounds weird but I think not!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love cigar boxes! Old cigar boxes! And the smell of new crayons! I still love that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have just a cigar box at our house that hubby stores his beard trimmer in. He didn't smoke cigars either. I don't remember what I used for a pencil box at school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I loved jacks too - even though I wasn't really very good! What great memories that brings back. Love your box of memories.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!