Pages

Friday, September 5, 2014

Friday Finds



Way back in the old days, this was the type of school box I had. The smell of cigars mingled with smell of erasers and crayons. It's not the most pleasant smell, but I've smelled far worse! 

I remember how much I loved looking through my school box with the shiny new scissors, the green and yellow box of perfect crayons,  and the unsharpened #2 yellow pencils. But, by the end of the year my box looked much like the one above; messy crayons their box long torn up, tarnished scissors, and well used erasers. Of course I always had a few toys tucked in, maybe marbles, but most likely jacks. I loved to play jacks. I'm keeping my eye for a set of metal jacks, I want to play again.

The prompt this week for one of the groups that I share photos with is "school daze." As I thought about school supplies and school boxes, I remembered the old cigar boxes that I carried to school. No one in our family smoked cigars, but somehow my Papa Culps always managed to find us some. I had to look quite a while before I FOUND this one hidden in the back of a drawer. I may just have to keep it out now.

fridayfindsbutton

10 comments:

  1. i absolutely love this cathy! to this day the smell of new school supplies makes me feel like i'm fourth grade all over again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how fabulous! I'm so glad you didn't give up looking for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny. I almost bought Jakes today. I wanted to play with one of my grand kids. You have such a good memory and you have saved such memories. I wish I had,

    ReplyDelete
  4. sweet memories - I love the smell of crayons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the edit Cathy, like Cathy I also love the smell of crayons, is that weird? Sounds weird but I think not!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love cigar boxes! Old cigar boxes! And the smell of new crayons! I still love that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have just a cigar box at our house that hubby stores his beard trimmer in. He didn't smoke cigars either. I don't remember what I used for a pencil box at school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I loved jacks too - even though I wasn't really very good! What great memories that brings back. Love your box of memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jacks was our favorite pastime when we were young. Hours and hours we spent on the doorsteps of each others' houses, all with jacks and ball. I actually did buy a set of metal jacks a few years ago and do occasionally play. Look here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H35MW6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!