100 Day Project 2021

Wednesday, January 19, 2022

I recently went to a quilt exhibit at the Historic Arkansas Museum. Crazy Quilts always catch my eye. They are fascinating with their rich fabrics and fancy stitching. This quilt, which belonged to one of the prominent Little Rock families, was stitched by their family dressmaker about 1880. 

"Their dressmaker made beautiful use of the formal garments she had sewn for the family's special occasions. Certain embellishments made this quilt a sentimental family scrapbook of sorts." (quote was taken from notes on this quilt made by the Historic Arkansas Museum)

I thought about the phrase "scrapbook of sorts" and realized that is what my blog has been. A scrapbook of my wanderings and wonderings, my photography and adventures, and also my family stories. The creating of this scrapbook has been a wonderful experience.

For a while I've been contemplating closing my blog. I began this blog on July 19, 2010 and have written a total of 1,111 posts. Lately I find myself moving on to other things; things that do not include social media. I want more time to pursue collage art, sewing, reading, and photography. That being said, this will be my last post.

I've also dropped my photo sharing sites, limited my blog reading and emailing. As I get older, time seems to be flying by. This makes me realize life is too short for me to be attached to a computer.

I am grateful that you've read my blog; some of you from the very beginning. Thank you for reading, commenting, encouraging, and just being with me through this blogging journey. I will miss each of you!


"Some people come into our lives and quickly go.
Some stay for a while,
leave footprints on our hearts,
and we are never, ever the same." 
~Flavia Marie Weedn


10 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to see your blog closing, Cathy. I have enjoyed visiting you over the years and joining you on your wanderings. Also, a blog is a place where we can put our photos and enjoy them, with all the things we have seen and done, all over again. I really enjoy looking back on my own blog. Where will you put all your lovely photographs now?

    The quilt exhibition must have been a wonderful sight for the eyes. The photo that you have chosen to put up here shows amazing stitchwork and beautiful colour combinations.

    I hope that we can still correspond occasionally to keep in touch. I shall miss you! Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't an easy decision, but it was time. My blog just took so much time. I edited and rewrote and edited some more. Totally unnecessary I know, but that's just how I am. No one would have minded a few mistakes or disjointed sentences. I worked as a copy editor for years and have never been able to just write something without major editing! It's been a great experience, but it's time to move to other interests. I've enjoyed the years we've commented on each other's blog. We've shared some beautiful photos and memories. Thank you for your faithfulness and encouragement.

      Delete
  2. Hi Cathy. I will miss your blog, your stories and your super photos but I really do understand your leaving social media. I stopped writing my blog a number of years ago and my interactions on FB have slowed down lately too - so much time for more important things!. Enjoy your 'retirement' and best wishes for a long and happy life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your faithfulness in reading my blog and commenting. I always enjoy what you share on FB. I'll check it now and then and see what you're up to!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I will miss seeing your beautiful photos and hearing about your life, Cathy. I do understand, though. Blogging takes a lot of time, doesn't it? I hope you'll still share a bit of your stitching now and then on Instagram, but if not, I wish you every happiness in life! Do take care and thank you for all of your kind comments on my blog and for sharing your lovely photos with us. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Carol, for reading my blog and for your continued support and encouragement. I do plan to share my stitching on IG, especially since I've taken the 12 in 12 challenge this year. AND I will still continue to read your blog. You are one of a few that I've chosen to follow. I can't not read your blog!!! It's wonderful! Thanks again and happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this post the other day and just wanted you to know that I will miss seeing your posts and wonderful photos. I've not been great at blogging or commenting a lot in recent years but I do try to post at least once a month. I hope you enjoy whatever you choose to do and just know that (if) you ever come back to blogging I'll be excited to see your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your enthusiasm and dedication in writing this blog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!