100 Day Project 2021

Saturday, April 24, 2021

Azaleas in Bloom

I was terribly worried about my azalea bushes after the week of below freezing temperatures we had this winter. I can't tell you how many times I've walked around them the last few weeks looking for signs of life.


I have 23 azalea bushes in my shade gardens. They range from about a foot-and-a-half tall to about ten feet. They have grown and flourished under the shade of oak trees, but as you can see this winter was disastrous to some of them.


I'm not giving up on them quite yet. I will leave them alone and let them recover. Even the one that looks the worst has a little new growth.


Then there was the two nights of near freezing temperatures this week. There's no way I could cover the azaleas; too many and too tall! The morning frost ruined a lot of the smaller flowers.


One of the tallest bushes has only one pink blossom. That one small flower gives me hope that they'll recover.


The rest of the bushes are blooming. Maybe there aren't as many blooms as in years past, but the ones that are there are spectacular!




I am not a gardener! I don't plant flower gardens or vegetable gardens. I took the easy way out and planted several shade gardens with lots of perennials that need little or no care; just water and feed them is about it. I'm pretty fond of Hostas, too. They compliment my azaleas and are pretty all summer long.



Here's a little story and some of you have probably heard it before, but I'll end with it. Garvan Woodland Gardens was my inspiration for planting azaleas. The gardens began when a wonderful lady planted bushes at her future homesite. The house was never built, but the bushes flourished in the woods. When I saw all her azaleas, I decided I wanted to do something similar. I had the perfect garden area, under oak trees which would provide the necessary shade. The first spring they bloomed my dad came walking down our driveway. He looked at all my azaleas and said, "it looks like a cemetery down here." That was not quite what I had in mind! I still laugh about that today!!

* * * * *
If you have some extra time, I've added 8 more pictures on the 100 Day Project page. Scroll back up to the top and look right under the header. You'll see a tab that will take you to that page. Just a reminder that I started this project on February 1, 2021, so pictures do not reflect current happenings.

10 comments:

  1. Cathy, I hope all your azaleas recover from the cold and frost! I had azaleas when I lived in California and I love them. Some of mine bloomed in spring and some in the fall. They come in so many gorgeous colors. I love those pink-and-white ones of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pink and white ones are my favorite, too. The flowers are big and the bush is open and airy.

      Delete
  2. Too bad that your bushes didn't do well over the winter but the flowers that you do have are wonderful. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you didn’t lose any azaleas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful Azaleas in your very vast 'garden', Cathy. they come in such glorious colours too. I especially love the colour of the very last coral pink ones. The Hostas seem to be doing very well, judging by the healthy growth of new leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra! It's been such a pleasure to see them blooming this year. I needed those spring colors to lift my spirits.

      Delete
  5. Oh, your azaleas are lovely, Cathy--you have so many pretty colors and I'm sure glad they survived the cold spell. The pink and white ones are especially pretty. Enjoy this last bit of April--can't believe we are heading into May already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol! They've been so a joy to see this spring! I think we're all ready for some extra beauty in our lives!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!