100 Day Project 2021

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Celebrating June



June is a good month. It  brings beautiful flowers, delicious fruits and vegetables, and plenty of sunshine. June is the month to celebrate National Rose Month, National Dairy Month, and National Candy Month. It also includes great holidays: Paul Bunyan Day, World Environment Day, Flag Day, Father's Day, and the Summer Solstice. Each day of the month has it's own special celebration. For instance let's look at June 9th. On this day you can celebrate Donald Duck Day, National Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Day and (insert long drum roll) my BIRTHDAY!! I wasn't sure I'd be too happy about my birthday this year, but I decided instead of bemoaning the fact that I've just completed my 65th year and now carry a Medicare Card, I would find unusual ways to celebrate.



With the hot weather I've been spending my afternoons inside, so I thought why not read books that were written in the year I was born, 1953. I looked through book lists and really didn't find any adult books I wanted to read, so I decided to read children's books. I first went through my collection of Little Golden Books and discovered I have four written in 1953. Since they were a pretty quick read, I searched the local children's library for picture books and juvenile chapter books.



I discovered:

  • The Clue of the Velvet Mask, a Nancy Drew mystery by Carolyn Keene
  • Brighty of the Grand Canyon by Marguerite Henry
  • The Crisscross Shadow, a Hardy Boys mystery by Franklin W. Dixon
  • . . . and now Miguel by Joseph Krumgold
  • Scrambled Egg Super, a Dr. Seuss book I've never seen before
  • A Very Special House written by Ruth Krauss and illustrated by Maurice Sendak (I'm sure you recognize that name)
  • Sleepy ABC written by Margaret Wise Brown and illustrated by Esphyr Slobodkina



It was a coincidence that I'd just been reading about the illustrator Esphyr Slobodkina who was an artist, author, and illustrator. She's best know for her picture book Caps For Sale. I remember this story from my childhood and several years ago bought my own copy. As I looked through the library shelves, I discovered that a sequel had been published celebrating the 75th anniversary of Caps For Sale. More Caps For Sale was developed by Ann Marie Mulhearn Sayer using illustrations similar to what Slobodkina used in her original book. It was fun to reread Caps For Sale and see what other mischief the monkeys got into in More Caps For Sale. Other works I found by Slobodkina include The Wonderful Feast and The Little Fireman, in which she once again teamed up with Margaret Wise Brown.


My days begin and end with reading. Each morning I read from one of Max Lucado's books, at lunch I read a children's book, and before bed I read some type of fiction. I'm grateful during the hot days of summer that I love to read!!

Reading gives us someplace to go
when we have to stay where we are.
~ Mason Cooley

  * * * * *
One more thing to celebrate in June! Today is National Sunglasses Day. Yes, I'm serious. This celebration began in 2014 to promote the importance of UV eye protection. On this day everyone is encouraged to celebrate by wearing their favorite pair of sunglasses and sharing a photo on social media used #NationalSunglassesDay and #SunglassSelfie. Wellington couldn't resist the challenge!



HAPPY JUNE!!



7 comments:

  1. I love it all. I always learn so much when I read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strawberry rhubarb pie day on your birthday! My favorite, I’d probably have that instead of cake! Happy birthday!! What a fun way to celebrate. A lot of great children’s books were written in your birth year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely idea, Cathy, to read books written in your year of birth! I agree that children's books have a great deal of charm. I love them too and sometimes ask my grandson to leave me one or other of his!
    So you have your birthday in the lovely month of June! A very happy belated birthday, Cathy!
    I love the quotation by Mason Cooley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your reading list sounds like fun and an interesting way to celebrate your 65 year. That strawberry photos is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated birthday! You found some amazing treasures in those books. I remember Caps For Sale too, and I have all the Nancy Drew books from my childhood. Have you finished Before We Were Yours? If so, what did you think? I really liked it about half way through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have finished Before We Were Yours and I liked it, too. It did take me a few chapters to figure out the connections between then and now.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!