100 Day Project 2021

Monday, October 30, 2017

The Perfect Day

What does it take to have the perfect day? To me, it's being outside enjoying sunshine and nature. I had one of those perfect days this past weekend.

It began with a tour of Boxley Grist Mill which was built about 1869. It's basic function was grinding corn into meal. The mill which is now part of the Buffalo National River Area and is slowly being restored.


Also on the mill property was this old barn, which is just about to be taken over by weeds. Oh, I love barns! They make my heart sing. I saw several, but this was the only one I was able to get pictures of.


The perfect day also includes a perfect hike. What is included in my perfect hike? I'll be glad to tell you.

1. My perfect hike includes finding a good trail; not to strenuous as my knees seem to be aching more and more. In spite of those achy knees, I enjoy trails that have steps that are much easier to navigate than inclines covered with rocks and slick leaves.


2. My perfect hike includes water. Water was a little hard to find on this hike, we've been in a little drought season, but, find it I did. Water was seeping out of an opening in one of the rock formations.



3. My perfect hike includes color, any color; the color of rocks created by minerals in the water that seeps out of the cliffs, the color of the sky, and this time of year the color of autumn.


4. My perfect hike includes unusual trees.


5. My perfect hike includes unexpected surprises like lichen in the shape of a heart and



a face looking down from a huge cliff.


6. My perfect hike includes enough activity to accelerate my heart rate. Only this time it wasn't the hiking that got my heart pounding, it was watching my grandsons crawl all over the boulders and cliffs. Remember the water coming out of the cliff a few pictures up? That picture is a little deceiving. When I took the picture I was standing on a rock across a large rock valley. There's nothing for perspective, so you can't see how enormous this cliff really is. That's where these guys are, at the top of the water fall. Trust me, it's way up there! Boys are made for rock climbing, but Gramma's heart is not!




5. But, more than anything I listed above, my perfect hike includes family!




The perfect day always has to end.
My heart is full of joy!
I am blessed!


"From the moment I woke up,
I could tell that it was going to be
good day."
~ Aly Johnson

5 comments:

  1. I does sound and look like you had a perfect day. I agree about a gramma's heart - (and a mom's as my son snowboards) and my heart dropped when I saw the boy sitting on the rock - wow! Thanks for sharing Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous day with family and some great views. Love the barn and the rocks, but I am with you on the climbing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous day out hiking you had with your family, Cathy. The shots are all wonderful and I enjoyed every single one of them. I loved the turning stone steps and the wonderful colours and all those expressive rocks. Your grandsons are without fear, but I bet your heart was beating faster as they climbed so high!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a perfect day. Photos were great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A perfect day, indeed. A perfect blog post, too. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!